UM-Flint Department of Communication Website
The General Program in Communication offers students liberal arts coursework as a supporting program for careers in communication, including but not limited to communication training and development, broadcasting, and public relations.
Requirements. Forty credit hours in COM courses (no more than 40 may be counted towards the BA) and a 12-hour cognate, minor or second major. At least 25 hours of coursework toward the major must be taken at UM-Flint.
- Core courses. COM 200 , COM 210 , COM 305 , COM 306 , COM 308 (13 credits).
- Emphasis area (18 credits). One of the following groups:
1. COM 281 , COM 320 , COM 321 , COM 381 , COM 436 .
2. One from: COM 206 , COM 213 , COM 284 , COM 323 , COM 363 , COM 382 , COM 392 , COM 399 (with consent of advisor), COM 450 , COM 460 .
1. Two of the following groups:
Organizational Communication. COM 261 , COM 362 .
Advertising. COM 226 , COM 316 .
Public Relations. COM 361 , COM 371 .
2. COM 402 , COM 426 .
1. COM 241 , COM 331 , COM 332 , COM 344 , COM 416 .
2. One from:
COM 201 , COM 202 , COM 203 , COM 225 , COM 272 , COM 301 , COM 381 , COM 399 (with consent of advisor), COM 450 .
- Electives (9 credits).
Additional COM courses.
- Cognate. To increase the student’s ability to understand and apply Communication and to see its interdisciplinary nature, a block of courses outside the Communication program, fulfilled in any of the following ways:
- Four courses (12 credits), chosen with the approval of the student’s advisor, in one or more disciplines.
- A minor.
- A second major.
- A GPA of at least 2.5 in the major at time of graduation.
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Bachelor of Arts degree, including distribution requirements in addition to general education requirements .