Oct 18, 2017
- Admission into the Visual Art Education Program, which requires a UM-Flint grade point average of 2.75 overall and a GPA of 3.0 in all Art courses (both ART and ARH).
- Meeting all requirements for admission into the Education Program, including the Basic Skills Test portion of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification. Students may apply when they have earned 55 credits. There are two admission periods each year. Deadlines for applying are January 15 and September 15.
- Art History (12 credits).
- ARH 111 and ARH 112 or equivalent.
- One from ART 116 , ART 120 , ARH 140 , ARH 308 , ARH 331 , ARH 410 .
- ARH 411 .
- Studio Art (39 credits).
- Two-dimensional Design. ART 141 (3).
- Three-dimensional Design. ART 142 (3).
- Beginning drawing: ART 131 , ART 132 (6).
- Computer Graphic. ART 252 (3).
- Life drawing. ART 135 or ART 361 (3).
- Six additional credits, chosen to include two of the following two-dimensional disciplines: drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, graphic design, costume design.
- Six additional credits, chosen to include two of the following three-dimensional disciplines: sculpture, ceramics, scene design.
- Nine credits beyond the 100 level in an area of concentration (i.e., painting and drawing, printmaking, sculpture, graphic design, photography, or ceramics).
- Visual Arts Education (12 credits).
- ART 101 Elementary School Art Education (3).
- ART 102 Secondary School Art Education (3).
- ART 300 / EDE 342 Methods and Materials (3).
- ART 303 / EDS 342 Issues, Methods and Materials in K- 12 Art (3).
- Education (24 credits).
- EDE 300 or EDS 300 , EDE 302 or EDS 302 , EDE 360 or EDS 360 (9).
- EDE 469 , Student Teaching in the Elementary School (5).
- EDE 499 or EDS 499 , Elementary or Secondary Student Teaching Seminar (2).
- EDS 469 , Student Teaching in the Secondary School (5).
- EDR 445 / ENG 410 Improvement of Reading in the Middle and Secondary School (3).
- Approved course in first aid including adult and child CPR.
- PSY 100 (3).
- A course in the history or culture of an American ethnic minority from: AFA 270 / SOC 270 ; , AFA 334 / HIS 334 ; EDE 432 / PUB 438 ; ENG 213 , ENG 374 .
- A course in US history. HIS 220 , HIS 221 recommended.
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences Bachelor of Science degree, including General Education Requirements .
Prospective candidates should also study the sections in this Catalog entitled “General Requirements for Teacher Certification ,” “Secondary Education Teacher's Certificate Programs ” and “Bachelor of Science General Degree requirements.”