May 23, 2024  
2007-2009 Catalog 
2007-2009 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Graduate Study

The Office of Graduate Programs
251 Frances Willson Thompson Library
Phone: (810) 762-3171
Fax: (810) 766-6789
Web site:

Associate Provost & Dean: Dr. Vahid Lotfi

Administrative Specialist: Mary Deibis

Graduate Admissions Director: Brad Maki

Marketing Communications Specialist: Jon Davidson

Student Administration Assistant Intermediate: Erin Carrasco

Secretary Intermediate: Kathy Bloink

Coordinator of K-12 Projects: Robert Hahn

The Office of Graduate Programs coordinates graduate programs offered by the University of Michigan-Flint.

The University of Michigan-Flint offers eleven graduate degree programs: the Master of Arts in Social Sciences (MA) , the Master of Science in Biology (MS) , and the Master of Science in Computer and Information Systems (MS)  through the College of Arts and Sciences; the Master of Liberal Studies in American Culture (MLS)  and the Master of Public Administration (MPA)  through the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies; the Master of Arts in Education (MA)  through the School of Education and Human Services; the Master of Science in Anesthesia (MS) , the Master of Science in Health Education (MS) , the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) , and the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)  through the School of Health Professions and Studies; and the Master of Business Administration (MBA)  through the School of Management.

Students who have been admitted into other Rackham programs and are in good standing may register for graduate courses at the University of Michigan-Flint, but are advised to seek assistance as to procedures from their respective campuses.

Information on graduate degree programs offered by the University of Michigan-Flint is available in the Office of Graduate Programs.


Students who have earned the bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university in the United States, or its equivalent in another country, are considered for admission without regard to sex, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, handicap, or Vietnam-era veteran status. See the appropriate section below for admission requirements specific to the various degree programs.

An applicant who holds a degree from outside the United States that is not the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree may be granted conditional admission to a degree program upon the recommendation of the director of the graduate program and the concurring opinion of the Dean of Graduate Programs. Such an admission decision will be based on a careful evaluation of the applicant’s qualifications, acceptable evidence of the institution’s competence in the student’s principal areas of preparation, and other relevant factors. If granted conditional admission, the student may be required to complete a number of hours of graduate or upper-level undergraduate qualifying course work.

Application Deadlines

Most graduate programs have specific deadlines for the submission of application materials. Please refer to for application deadlines. International applicants should apply no later than six months prior the term of intended enrollment.

Application Forms

Application forms are available from the Office of Graduate Programs and are available on line at Inquiries should be addressed to:

Office of Graduate Programs
University of Michigan-Flint
251 Thompson Library
Flint, MI 48502-1950

or prospective students may telephone (810) 762-3171 or email

Application Fees

The application fee for all graduate programs is $55. The application fee is non-refundable and does not apply to any other University fee. The fee may be paid by check, money order or credit card. (Payment by credit card is required if submitting an online application.) Applications received without fees will not be evaluated. All fees are subject to change without prior notice.

Graduate Lifelong Learning and Guest Admission


Individuals holding a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited institution who want to elect graduate courses, those seeking admission to a graduate program but not yet admitted, or graduate students at other colleges and universities who wish to elect a graduate course at UM-Flint are considered graduate Lifelong Learning students.

Applicants must provide proof of bachelor’s or master’s degree and complete an Application for Graduate Lifelong Learning or Guest Admission to the Office of Graduate Programs each term in which they seek to enroll as graduate Lifelong Learning students. Students must obtain instructor and/or program director approval for each course he/she wishes to elect. Guest students must also submit approval (via a memo) from their advisor in the program in which they are currently enrolled or admitted.

Prerequisites, grading standards, class assignments, and attendance requirements of a course apply to all students in that course, including graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students. Colleges, departments, schools, and programs determine rules of access to their courses and may limit enrollment of graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students in certain courses.

Graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students are not eligible for most sources of financial aid.

Graduate Lifelong Learning and guest students who wish to be admitted to a UM-Flint graduate degree program in the future must apply for that program using the Graduate Application for Admission in accordance with established application deadlines. Courses taken as a graduate Lifelong Learning student do not guarantee admission to a program.

In general, up to six (6) graduate credit hours elected as a graduate Lifelong Learning student may apply toward a UM-Flint graduate degree. In certain circumstances, some programs may accept up to nine (9) credits. The student must receive admission to a degree program, and the program director must determine that the courses are acceptable.

Graduate Lifelong Learning and guest admission is for one term only. Students who wish to enroll in a future term as a graduate Lifelong Learning or guest student must submit another Application for Graduate Lifelong Learning or Guest Admission.

Graduate Lifelong Learning or guest admission is not applicable for students on an F-1 visa. Current regulations require full-time enrollment in a degree program, which is also non-applicable in this status. Holders of other types of visas may apply using this status.

International Applicants

Individuals from other countries may apply for admission to the University of Michigan-Flint. Applicants are advised to submit a completed application no later than six months prior to the term of intended enrollment. In addition to the application materials required of all applicants, the following documentation must be received before a decision on admission can be made:

  1. Demonstration of English proficiency for applicants whose native lanauge is not English (this includes U.S. citizens and permanent residents whose native language is not English). Official score reports from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Examination for the Certificate of Proficiency in English (ECPE) must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Programs. The scores submitted must be official and taken within the last two years.
  2. Official transcripts from post-secondary school(s) (college/university). The Office of Graduate Programs may request that all transcripts (official records) for education completed outside the United States be evaluated by a nationally recognized credential service. Reports must include course-by-course evaluations that provide U.S. educational equivalents and U.S. credit and grade equivalents for each subject studied.
  3. All students seeking an F-1 Visa must submit a certification of financial resources adequate to provide for all expenses while attending the University of Michigan-Flint. An Affidavit of Support must be completed, and returned with all supporting documents.
  4. Copy of current visa. International applicants currently in the U.S. on a visa must submit a copy of their visa. This requirement does not apply to applicants seeking an F-1 visa.


Students enrolled in a graduate program for which a thesis is a degree requirement will be charged a $25.00 thesis fee the semester the thesis/practicum is elected. Students should contact their academic program for specific thesis guidelines.

Financial Aid

Graduate scholarship/fellowship/grant information may be viewed online at: Information is also available under “Financial Aid” in the “General Information” section of this Catalog.

Tuition and Fees

Please refer to the following Web site for tuition and fee rates: Information is also available under “Admissions” in the “General Information” section of this Catalog.

Residency Classification

Please refer to the “Information on Residency Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes” in the “General Information” section of this Catalog.Rackham School of Graduate Studies Programs