Dec 05, 2021  
2013-2014 Catalog 
2013-2014 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies of the University

Click on any of the following links for information:

Campus-Wide Academic Regulations


Regulations in this portion of the Catalog apply to all students of the University of Michigan-Flint. Some variations exist in the academic regulations for College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Education and Human Services, the School of Health Professions and Studies, and the School of Management in the following areas: grading systems, academic and scholastic requirements, credit requirements for graduation, honors, academic grievance procedures, pass/fail options, and credit by examination. Students should acquaint themselves with the pertinent regulations, which can be found in the appropriate sections of this Catalog.

All graduate students are advised to consult the Graduate portion of this Catalog for specific information on each of the Graduate programs.

The following regulations represent University-wide rules of which all students should be aware in order to fulfill their academic responsibilities. The ultimate responsibility for fulfilling the requirements for a degree rests with the student.

Undergraduate Honors


Campus-Wide Honors

University of Michigan-Flint undergraduate students are eligible for the following campus-wide awards. Notation of each award is made on the student’s official transcript.

Maize and Blue. The University of Michigan-Flint’s highest award for undergraduate students is presented at the May and December commencement ceremonies. Students graduating in August are recognized in December. Students receiving the award are given plaques and the award is noted on the official transcript.

Eligibility for the award is determined the last semester before graduation. The semesters including the student’s last 58 credit hours at the University of Michigan-Flint are determined and a GPA is calculated on the basis of all courses at UM-Flint included in these semesters, except courses in progress. Students whose calculated GPA is at least 3.75 are considered for the award.

Once the list of eligible students has been determined, academic departments are asked for nominations from this list. Their nominations are sent to the Scholarships, Awards and Special Events Committee, which makes the final decision. At most, thirteen students receive the award at each commencement ceremony. An attempt is made to allocate the awards proportionately among the various academic units.

Commencement Honor Cords. University of Michigan-Flint undergraduate students may walk in commencement ceremonies with honor cords if they meet guidelines for tentative honors. (Eligible students completing their degrees in August are recognized at the December ceremony.) Students in the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education and Human Services must have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher two months prior to the ceremony. Students in the School of Health Professions and Studies and the School of Management must meet the degree honors requirements of the school using the current semester hours. (Courses in progress are excluded from GPA calculations but are included in credit requirements.) Students who wish an exception to these rules must submit a petition to the academic standards committee of their school or college.

Dean’s List. A full-time student who earns a 3.5 grade point average for a Fall or Winter semester with 12 or more graded hours is placed on the Dean’s List in his or her school or college for that semester. In computing averages, only courses taken at the University of Michigan-Flint are included, and only complete terms or semesters are counted. Notation of the award is made on the student’s official transcript.

System-Wide Honors

University of Michigan-Flint undergraduate students are eligible for the following system-wide awards of the University of Michigan. The term “graded” refers to courses graded “ABC.”

Branstrom Prize. This prize is presented in March to those first time freshmen who were enrolled for at least 14 graded credit hours the previous Fall semester and finished in the top five percent of their class. The prize is a book with an inscribed nameplate on the inside cover, chosen by the student from an impressive list.  First time freshman with prior dual enrollee credit from another institution or more than 12 UM-Flint credits are not eligible.

James B. Angell Scholar. This award is presented in March to those undergraduate students who completed consecutive semesters in the last year each of which included at least 14 credits of graded work for which the student earned no grade lower than “A-“.

University Honors (formerly Class Honors). This award is presented in March to those undergraduate students who completed a single semester in the previous year including at least 14 credit hours, at least 12 of which were graded, with a semester GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Academic Standing

An undergraduate student who maintains a grade point average of at least 2.0 for courses elected while enrolled at the University is considered to be in good academic standing in the University. Those students who fail to maintain a C (2.0) average are considered academically deficient. This general description of standards must be augmented by the regulations of each individual unit. All students must be familiar with the academic requirements and rules of their own school or college.

To maintain satisfactory academic standing, graduate students must make satisfactory progress toward their degrees and have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of B (5.00 on a 9.0 point scale). Certain graduate programs may have requirements above the university minimum for maintaining satisfactory academic standing. Students who fall below the GPA requirement of their graduate program or the university are placed on academic probation. Courses in which grades of D or E are earned cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements.

At the end of each term, the Office of the Registrar reviews the transcripts of all students showing evidence of academic difficulty according to the policies set by the committees on academic standards. The University uses three major types of actions: Warning, Up-or-Out, and Dismissal. These actions are placed on the student’s official transcript and become a permanent part of the academic record.

Warning. Warning is issued to all students at the University whose cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 for the first time, but does not drop severely enough to warrant dismissal. There is no automatic term of warning. A significant honor-point deficiency can result in dismissal from the University without a previous warning.

Up-or-Out. When a student on previous warning fails to obtain a 2.0 grade point average in the next term of enrollment or drops severely in one semester, an up-or-out warning is issued. The student is informed in writing that unless substantial improvement occurs, academic dismissal will follow at the end of that term. If the grade point average for that term is 2.0 or higher but is not sufficient to raise the cumulative grade point average to 2.0 or higher, the student is continued on up-or-out status. If the term grade point average is below 2.0, the student may be dismissed. Grades of I (incomplete), N (no credit, no grade), or F (in pass/fail) will be considered grades below C.

Students readmitted to the University after dismissal are immediately placed on up-or-out status.

Dismissal. Academic dismissal does not carry any condition for readmission. If a student wishes at a later date to seek reentry to the University, academic readiness must be demonstrated. This is usually done by submitting transcripts from other institutions of higher learning indicating academic success. Normally, however, the only courses considered as proof of readiness will be such courses which are usually transferable to the University. These courses may or may not be entered as transfer courses on the student’s record, but will in no case alter the grade point average already on the student’s University of Michigan-Flint permanent record.

Students receiving benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA) will be governed by the same academic standards as other students.  The Veterans Administration will be informed if a student is placed on academic dismissal.

Classification of Undergraduate Students

The class standing of undergraduate students is determined by the number of credit hours they have accumulated:

Freshman: Fewer than 25 credits.
Sophomore: At least 25 but fewer than 55 credits.
Junior: At least 55 but fewer than 85 credits.
Senior: 85 credits or more.

Students who seek a second bachelor’s degree are granted credits as explained in the section “Second Bachelor’s Degree” and are placed in the appropriate undergraduate class.

NCFD (non-candidate for degree) students may or may not hold a degree; some may be seeking professional certification or fulfilling undergraduate requirements for a master’s degree.

Guest students are enrolled in another college with which they have made arrangements for transfer of credits being earned at the University of Michigan-Flint.

Dual enrollee students are high school students that have been approved to take college courses.

Course Load

A normal undergraduate program consists of approximately 15 credits in Fall and Winter semesters and 6 credits in Spring and Summer terms. Students may elect a maximum of 18 credits in Fall and Winter and 9 credits in Spring and Summer. In exceptional cases, the Academic Standards Committees may permit students of superior scholarship to elect more than the maximum number of credits through the petition process. A student who is employed should limit the course load accordingly.

 Enrollment Status Definitions

A student’s enrollment status is determined by the following University defined guidelines:

UNDERGRADUATE Fall or Winter Semester Spring or Summer Semester
Full time 12 or more credits 6 or more credits
1/2 time 6-11 credits 3-5 credits
Less than 1/2 time 1-5 credits 1-2 credits
GRADUATE Fall or Winter Semester Spring or Summer Semester
Full time 8 or more credits 4 or more credits
1/2 time 4-7 credits 2-3 credits
Less than 1/2 time 1-3 credits 1 credit


Credit Hours Required to Graduate from the University of Michigan-Flint

Each undergraduate degree is different, but all require a minimum of 120 credit hours.

To be recommended for the bachelor’s degree, a student must have registered as a degree candidate at the University of Michigan-Flint for the last 30 credits.

A transfer student must earn a minimum of 45 semester hours at the University of Michigan-Flint, including the last 30 credits.

Changes in Individual Course Elections

Changes in course elections include dropping and adding a course. To make a course change before the first official day of the semester the student must add/drop on the SIS website. After the first official day of the semester, students wishing to add a course must obtain an Add form, have it signed by the instructor of the course and submit it to the Office of the Registrar by the Add deadline (see course schedule or Registrar’s website for specific date). Students wishing to drop courses may do so in SIS without the instructor’s signature until the final drop deadline (see course schedule or Registrar’s website for specific date).

Individual courses may not be dropped without a final grade after the Friday of the eighth week of classes. Undergraduate students who seek exceptions to these deadlines must petition the school of their major (Committee on Academic Standards in the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Education and Human Services, the School of Health Professions and Studies, or the Academic Review Committee in the School of Management).  A request to drop a course without a final grade after this time will be considered only on medical grounds or for other compelling reasons. Permission to drop a course after the deadline will not be granted merely because the student is doing unsatisfactory work. If a student stops attending a course without official approval, the grade of E, F or N will be recorded.

Non-attendance does not constitute an official drop, however, the University reserves the right to drop students who are not attending in the first two weeks of the semester, in order to remain in compliance with federal regulations. Academic departments may decide to drop students from courses in which the student has not completed the pre-requisite courses.

Changing courses and/or credit hours either from undergraduate to graduate credit or any change within a level, may only be processed during the semester that the coursework took place.

For further information on adding, dropping or withdrawing, students should consult their advisors, the Catalog sections of the different University units and possibly the Office of Financial Aid. Graduate students should consult the Office of Graduate Programs for information. (See also the add/drop information in the “Adjustment of Fees” section of this Catalog.)


Most courses are graded on an ABCDE system, unless another grading system appears in the course description.The grade listed last is the lowest grade for which credit is granted.  Pass/Fail indicates that a course is only offered on a Pass/Fail basis. A grade once reported with the exception of an I or Y may be changed only to correct a demonstrable error. It is the policy of the University of Michigan-Flint that grades may changed up to one calendar year after the end of the semester in which the grade was originally given.

Final grades are reported at the conclusion of each academic semester and become part of the official record of the student. Final grades are generally available on SIS within one week of the last day of the examination period.

I (Incomplete) Grades

The grade of I (incomplete) may be reported by the instructor only if the unfinished part of a student’s work is small, the extenuating circumstances have been explained and the student is passing but unable to complete the coursework within the semester. An I must be completed no later than the end of the fifth week of the next major semester in which the student is enrolled or one calendar year from when the I was given, whichever is first. Failure to complete the coursework within the time allotted will result in the I being changed to a grade of IE, IF or IN as applicable. An extension may be requested by the student, but must be approved by the instructor and an extension form signed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar before the initial five week deadline.  The policies of the School of Management concerning incomplete grades differ . See the School of Management section of this catalog.

Y Grades

The Y grade designates “work in progress” and is therefore to be used only for courses designated to extend beyond a single semester. The Y grade extends the time allowed for completing the coursework for a period of up to two years. The Y grade will be designated “Work in Progress” in the explanation of the student’s transcript. If the student has not completed the work  by the end of the two-year period, an extension of up to one year may be granted if the student demonstrates a clear plan for completing the work in a timely manner. The plan must be acceptable to the professor. When the professor and the student have agreed upon a time-line for completion of the work, they sign an extension form indicating the date when the work is expected to be completed. This form must be submitted to the Registrar.

After completion of the work, the Y grade will be removed and replaced with an appropriate grade for the course in question. If no grade has been assigned after the two-year period or extension thereof, the student cannot be contacted, and/or if the professor cannot be contacted, the departmental chair or head of the unit should assign the final grade. If no grade is assigned, the Registrar will assign a Y/W (Withdrawn), after notifying the professor and/or the academic department. The Y grade is not to be used in place of an Incomplete for courses designed to be completed in a single semester.


All students are expected to elect courses for credit. Occasionally an undergraduate student may wish to attend courses which have not been elected for credit. The instructor may grant official auditing at the time of registration or during the scheduled period to add courses. Students must officially declare in writing to the Registrar their intent to audit a course prior to the add deadline. A course that is audited is billed at the usual tuition.

The course will appear on the student’s transcript as “audit” with a “V” grade which is not computed in the GPA. The student must register, attend classes regularly and complete all the work of the course. If the student enrolled as an auditor does not complete the course to the instructor’s satisfaction, the grade “W” will be recorded on the permanent record.

Reelection of Courses

Any course may be reelected. Only the credits earned the last time the course is taken will count. The record of all attempts and grades received will appear on the transcript. When a course is reelected, the grade received for the last attempt will be used to calculate the grade point average. Courses taken at institutions other than the University of Michigan-Flint do not affect the grade point average.

Graduate students may repeat a course with permission of the advisor and course instructor.  Credits for the course may not be earned beyond the limit set by guidelines of the department or program.  Each election and grade for a course that is repeated will remain on the transcript, and will be counted into the grade point average as separate elections.  However, only the final attempt, if passed, will count toward total hours earned.

**Important Changes:  Undergraduate students receiving federal funds should refer to the Financial Aid information ( regarding possible implications and impacts on financial aid for re-election of courses.

Policy Concerning N Grades


The grade N, which signifies neither credit nor grade point value, is used in numerous courses. For these courses, the lowest grade for which credit is earned will be one of the following: C, C-, D, D-. The use of this grading system in a course is indicated in course listings and is announced at the beginning of the courses. Students should be aware that although N grades do not affect the grade point average, the accumulation of an excessive number of N’s is considered insufficient progress toward a degree. Therefore, after the first nine (9) credits for which a grade of N is received, any subsequent grade of N will be recorded as an E, regardless of whether a course in the original nine credits is retaken. Students who plan to apply to graduate schools should note that some transcript reporting agencies and graduate schools compute N grades as failing.

Class Attendance

Regular attendance at class, laboratory, and other appointments for which credit is given is expected of all students. Irregularities in attendance should be promptly explained by the student to the appropriate instructors. If an instructor considers the number of absences excessive, a written report may be sent by the instructor to the student’s faculty advisor.  The attendance policy for each course is the prerogative of the individual instructor. Non-attendance does not constitute a drop or withdrawal, however, students who do not regularly attend in the first two weeks of the semester, may be dropped at the request of the instructor.

Students should not be attending and participating in courses in which they are not officially registered. 

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given in accordance with the official schedule issued each term. Students must take the final examination according to that schedule. Students who wish to change the scheduled time due to hardship, conflict, or other unusual circumstances must have their requests approved by the instructor or the dean, director, or coordinator of the appropriate administrative unit.

Disenrollment from the University

If, for health or other valid personal reasons, the student finds it necessary to disenroll from the University, written requests for official withdrawal must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. Students who withdraw or reduce their enrollment should see the section entitled “Adjustment of Fees” to learn whether they are eligible for a refund. Students may disenroll from the University without petition until the last day of classes; courses affected by a disenrollment after the add period will receive “W” grades. Graduate students should consult with the Office of Graduate Programs for disenrollment information.

Students who are absent from the University for more than one calendar year must be readmitted to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate Programs Office.  If a student has been away from the University of Michigan-Flint for one year or more, the student must satisfy degree requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Change in Major

An undergraduate student contemplating a change in major should seek advice from the current advisor, the prospective advisor, or the Academic Advising and Career Center, and notify the Office of the Registrar of any change. Students who select a major or minor in a catalog subsequent to their original admission at the University of Michigan-Flint must follow the catalog for all requirements in effect at the time the new major or minor is offered. Students may choose newer catalogs but not older catalogs. 

A student who seeks a major in programs outside their current school should contact the prospective program for information on appropriate admission requirements and applications. Graduate students should consult with the Office of Graduate Programs for information about change in concentration.

Deficiency in English

Any instructor who finds a student’s work seriously deficient in standard written English may refer the case to the Director of the Writing Center. The student may be given additional work in composition with or without credit. Instructors may refuse credit or give a reduced grade for written work which does not demonstrate accurate, effective use of standard English.

Waiver of Degree Requirements

If, because of previous academic work, a student feels compelling reasons to waive University-wide requirements exist, a petition for waiver must be submitted to the academic standards committee of the appropriate unit. If  waiver of degree or program requirements is sought, a petition for waiver must be submitted to the appropriate dean, director, or department chair.

Petitioning Academic Standards Committees for Exceptions

Students who believe they are unreasonably affected by a policy of the University may appeal to the appropriate Academic Standards Committee/Academic Review Committee. Students should submit their petitions to the school of their major, independent of the courses they may be petitioning.

The Student as a Guest at Another Institution

A student at the University of Michigan-Flint will be permitted to elect a course for credit at another academic institution provided (1) completion of the course is necessary to satisfy requirements of the University of Michigan-Flint, and (2) the course is transferable.

After the final grade is recorded, the student must arrange to have the visited institution send an official copy of the transcript to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions of the University of Michigan-Flint. Ordinarily students will not be permitted to register for more than one course at a time at the visited institution. Students must complete the final 30 credits at UM-Flint. Therefore, UM-Flint students with 90 or more credits must petition the appropriate academic standards committee for a possible exception to this policy. Students should always consult with advisors to discuss the application of transfer credits toward any particular program of study.

Guest application forms are available in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Any student of the University of Michigan-Flint who enrolls in another academic institution, except as outlined above, must not expect to transfer the credit to the University of Michigan-Flint.

Graduation Application

Upon completing 100 credit hours, an undergraduate student must apply to graduate through the Office of the Registrar website. Students should also meet with their academic advisor to review the student’s transcript and to verify qualifications for graduation. Graduate students should apply for Graduation on the Office of the Registrar website at least one semester prior to the intended graduation date.

The University of Michigan-Flint awards baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral degrees three times each year - at the conclusion of the fall semester (December), at the conclusion of the winter semester (April/May) , and at the conclusion of the Spring/Summer semesters (August). Degree candidates must complete all coursework and degree requirements and provide evidence of satisfactory completion to the Registrar by the end of the semester. No degree will be awarded until all grades have been submitted and all requirements completed. Candidates with incomplete requirements will be changed to an inactive status and must reapply for a subsequent degree date. The deadlines for graduation applications and completion of requirements for each semester are listed on the Registrar website.

Commencement Ceremonies

Commencement is the ceremonial celebration of a student’s academic achievement. The University of Michigan-Flint holds two commencement ceremonies each year, one in April/May and the other in December. Students may choose which ceremony they wish to attend but may only participate in one. Students must apply to graduate (see Graduation Application above) and RSVP via the Registrar’s website by the stated deadlines. Failure to do so may impact your date of graduation, walking in the ceremony with honor cords, listing your name in the commencement program and obtaining tickets. Diploma covers are presented to each student at the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed approximately six weeks later after it is determined all degree requirements have been completed. Walking in the commencement ceremony does not guarantee a student has graduated.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree at any campus of the University of Michigan may earn a second bachelor’s degree. This requires a minimum of 30 credits beyond those required for the previous degree. The 90 credits counted from the previous degree will form the basis for the new degree, and will carry its grade point average. When the first bachelor’s degree was earned at an institution other than the University of Michigan, students must complete a minimum of 45 credit hours at the University of Michigan-Flint. A new degree program must be completed and should be planned in consultation with a concentration advisor.

A student who has earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, and wishes to complete a second bachelor’s will be considered as having met general education requirements. 

Simultaneous Bachelor’s Degrees

A student may elect to earn and be awarded two different bachelor’s degrees simultaneously. Minimal requirements for two degrees earned simultaneously include 30 additional credits beyond the credits required for one of the degrees (minimum of 150 credits) and fulfillment of all requirements for both degrees, including the foreign language requirement for any BA degree. The student must choose a primary and secondary degree. A student may elect to earn two bachelor’s degrees in any combination (e.g., two BA degrees, or a BS and a BBA degree). A student may elect to earn bachelor’s degrees in one academic unit or two different units.

Bachelor’s degrees offered are listed under “Degrees Offered” in the Planning a Program of Study section of this Catalog, and are detailed on a chart in that section.

Multiple Undergraduate Majors

A student may elect to earn a single bachelor’s degree with multiple majors. Requirements for multiple majors earned simultaneously include fulfillment of all requirements for each major and all degree requirements, including the foreign language requirement for a BA degree. The student must choose a primary and secondary major. A student may elect to earn different majors, but the majors must be only in one degree. (For example: a student could complete a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a major in History and English; a student could not complete a BA with a major in History and Computer Science, because the Computer Science major is part of the Bachelor of Science (BS), which is a different degree.) Students should refer to the Guide to Undergraduate Degrees and Majors in this catalog for a listing of degrees and related majors.

Note: The completion of requirements for multiple majors does not constitute the fulfillment of the requirements for simultaneous bachelor’s degrees (see above).


Diplomas are not presented at the commencement ceremony; they are mailed approximately 6 weeks after the degree is granted/posted. Diplomas are not prepared on campus, therefore a guaranteed delivery date is not possible. Diplomas are mailed to the address on file in the Office of the Registrar unless otherwise noted on the Graduation Application. Students will be given the opportunity at the time of application for graduation to designate how their name will appear on the diploma. Reasonable requests will generally be honored. If you have a financial hold, your diploma will not be mailed to you until the financial hold has been released.

Sizes of Diplomas:
Undergraduate and Master’s diplomas   8 1/2 x 11
Doctoral diplomas  11 x 14

Note: Your name, your degree, and honors appear on the diploma. Majors, minors and concentrations DO NOT appear on diplomas, they are listed on the official transcript once the student graduates and the degree is posted.

Duplicate diplomas

Graduates may order multiple copies of their diploma. Complete and forward the Duplicate Diploma order form found on the Registrar’s website, along with payment of $15.00 to the Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion, Flint MI  48502. Requests for duplicate diplomas will not be processed until after the original diplomas have been sent.

Incorrect Information on the Diploma

Graduates have thirty (30) days from the receipt of their diplomas to notify the Office of the Registrar of grammatical errors or other issues on your diploma. After this thirty (30) day period, a duplicate diploma order and payment is required.


A transcript is a student’s complete academic record at the University of Michigan-Flint and may include undergraduate, graduate and/or doctoral coursework. Any prior school transcript(s) that were presented for admission have become an integral part of the files of the admitting offices and cannot be released, either directly or for copying purposes. It will be necessary for you to write directly to the institutions concerned to obtain copies of those previous records. In addition, documents such as ACT/SAT scores are not available from the Office of the Registrar. University of Michigan-Flint transcripts will only be released upon written request of the student or via the official request through SIS or the National Student Clearinghouse.

Final Transcripts

Upon graduation, each student will receive one complimentary official transcript with their degree posted. Once the final transcript has been prepared/mailed and the diploma sent to the student, his/her academic file is closed and no changes can be made in it for any reason.

Requests for Transcripts

Requests for official University of Michigan-Flint transcripts (which bear the signature of the Registrar and the University Seal) should be made via SIS or the National Student Clearinghouse at Generally, transcript requests are processed and mailed within one business day. Under certain circumstances, such as the end of the term, graduation, or during the holidays,  requests may take longer to process. Requests will not be processed if a student has any financial obligations outstanding to the University of Michigan-Flint.

Reverse Transfer

Reverse Transfer is a process where academic credits for course work completed at a four year university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy associate degree requirements. Some students transfer into a 4-year institution before completing an associate degree at a community college, with a percentage of this group gaining a bachelor’s degree eventually through a combination of credits from both institutions. Through Reverse Transfer, a student’s achievements are recognized with an associate degree after they have transferred to a 4-year school and have accumulated the credits needed to full fill the 2-year degree program requirements.

The University of Michigan-Flint currently has Reverse Transfer Agreements with Mott Community College, Delta College and St Clair County Community College. Under these partnership agreements, students attending the University of Michigan-Flint could be granted an earned Associate Degree by combining credits from Um-Flint with the credits previously earned  from these community colleges. The University of Michigan-Flint is committed to helping our students earn all available credentials as they pursue their career goals. To this end, work is ongoing to forge agreements with other area community colleges.

If you have been recently enrolled at the University of Michigan-Flint and transferred from Mott Community College, Delta College or St Clair County Community College, the University of Michigan-Flint’s Office of the Registrar will notify you via your UM-Flint student email that you are eligible for review based on the criteria below for the potential awarding of your earned associate degree. You will be sent a link to a Transcript Request form specifically for the Reverse Transfer Agreement. Using this transcript request form gives permission to UM-Flint to send your transcript, communicate with your community college regarding your coursework, and permits your community college to award your degree, if appropriate. The request must be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar at UM-Flint. Your transcript will be sent to your community college at no charge to you. The initial criteria is:
45+ credit hours completed at your community college
24+ credit hours completed at UM-Flint
The sending of the University of Michigan-Flint transcript to your community college does not guarantee the granting of a degree. The course you take at the University of Michigan-Flint (or any other college or university) will be evaluated by your community college. The granting of the degree remains at the discretion of and is subject to the degree and residency requirements of the community college, which will the degree granting institution. you will be contacted by your community college with the results of your review.

Questions should be referred to the Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion, 810-762-3344, option1.

Documentation needed to change name

Students must provide legal documentation of a name change in order to change their name at the University of Michigan-Flint. Examples would be a valid driver’s license with the new name on it, passport, State ID,  social security card, etc. Name changes are processed by the Office of the Registrar.

Policy on matters related to religious holidays

Although the University of Michigan, as an institution, does not observe religious holidays, it has long been the university’s policy that every reasonable effort should be made to help students avoid negative academic consequences when their religious obligations conflict with academic requirements. Absence from classes or examinations for religious reasons does not relieve students from responsibility for any part of the coursework required during the period of absence. Students who expect to miss classes, examinations, or other assignments as a consequence of their religious observance shall be provided with a reasonable alternative opportunity to complete such academic responsibilities. It is the obligation of students to provide faculty with a reasonable notice of dates of religious holidays on which they will be absent. Such notice must be given by the end of the fourth week of the Fall or Winter semester or by the end of the third week of the Spring or Summer semester. Students who are absent on days of examinations or class assignments shall be offered the opportunity to make up the work, without penalty, unless it can be demonstrated that a make-up opportunity would interfere unreasonably with the delivery of the course. Should disagreement arise over an aspect of this policy, the parties involved should contact the Department Chair, Dean of the College or School or Ombuds. Final appeals will be resolved by the Provost. 

Student Rights and Responsibilities


Academic Integrity

Intellectual integrity is the most fundamental value of an academic community. Students and faculty alike are expected to uphold the highest standards of honesty and integrity in their scholarship. No departure from the highest standards of intellectual integrity, whether by cheating, plagiarism, fabrication, falsification, or aiding and abetting dishonesty by another person, can be tolerated in a community of scholars. Such transgressions may result in action ranging from reduced grade or failure of a course, to expulsion from the University or revocation of degree.

It is the responsibility of all students and faculty to know the policies on academic integrity in the instructional units at the University of Michigan-Flint. Information about these policies and the appeals process is available from the appropriate administrative office of the instructional units: in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; in the School of Education and Human Services, the Office of the Dean of the School of Education and Human Services; in the School of Management, the Office of the Dean of the School of Management; in the School of Health Professions and Studies, the Office of the Dean of the School of Health Professions and Studies and for graduate students, the Office of the Dean of Graduate Programs.

Departments and programs within these instructional units may have specific policies and procedures which further delineate academic integrity. In such cases students are bound by the University policy on academic integrity as well as these department or program policies.

Procedural Rights of the Accused Student. A student who is charged with academic dishonesty by an instructor, administrator, or another student may be assured that he/she has the right to a fair hearing of the charges and the evidence, the right to question witnesses, to invite witnesses on his/her behalf, and to introduce whatever other evidence may be relevant to the charge.

Code of Academic Conduct. The University, like all communities, functions best when its members treat one another with honesty, fairness, respect, and trust. Therefore, an individual should realize that deception for the purpose of individual gain is an offense against the members of the community. Such dishonesty includes:

Plagiarism: taking credit for someone else’s work or ideas, submitting a piece of work (for example, an essay, research paper, assignment, laboratory report) which in part or in whole is not entirely the student’s own work without fully and accurately attributing those same portions to their correct source.

Cheating: using unauthorized notes, or study aids, or information from another student or student’s paper on an examination; altering a graded work after it has been returned, then submitting the work for regrading; allowing another person to do one’s work, then submitting the work under one’s own name.

Fabrication: fabricating data; selectively reporting or omitting conflicting data for deceptive purposes; presenting data in a piece of work when the data were not gathered in accordance with guidelines defining the appropriate methods of collecting or generating data; failing to include a substantially accurate account of the method by which the data were gathered or collected.

Aiding and Abetting Dishonesty: providing material or information to another person when it should reasonably be expected that such action could result in these materials or information being used in a manner that would violate this code of academic integrity.

Falsification of Records and Official Documents: altering documents affecting academic records; forging a signature of authorization or falsifying or omitting necessary information on an official academic document, election form, grade report, letter of permission, petition, or any document designed to meet or exempt a student from an established College or University academic regulation; falsification or unauthorized altering of information in any official academic computer file.

Identity Theft: Assuming another person’s identity or role through deception or without proper authorization. Communicating or acting under the guise, name, identification, email address, signature, or indicia of another person without proper authorization, or communicating under the rubric of an organization, entity, or unit that you do not have the authority to represent.

Misrepresentation and Other Acts of Academic Dishonesty: fraudulently obtaining and/or using academic materials that would give oneself an unfair advantage over other students or would deceive the person evaluating one’s academic performance.

Attempts. An attempt to commit an act prohibited by this code may be punished to the same extent as a completed violation.

The Proper Use of Information Technology


Found online at:


It is the policy of the University to attempt to provide appropriate access to local, national, and international sources of information. It is the policy of the University that information resource  will be used by members of its community with respect for privacy and the public trust.

In accordance with the policies above, the University works to ensure that intellectual property and University records are protected from unauthorized use or distribution.

Authorized Use

As conditions of use for Information Technology Services (ITS) facilities and communication systems accessed through their use, all users agree to respect (1) the privacy of University records, (2) the legal protection provided by copyright and license agreements for programs and data, (3) the intended use for which access to the resources was granted, and (4) the integrity of the computing systems.

Appropriate Use

All users of computing resources should be mindful of the impact of their participation on the campus community, should engage only in authorized use, and should abide by standards of good citizenship in general.

Responsible Use

Users of ITS resources are expected to use those resources in a responsible and efficient manner. Users are expected to refrain from engaging in illegal, unauthorized, inappropriate, for-profit, or deliberately wasteful practices as outlined in the Standard Practice Guide.

Student Academic Grievance Procedure


If any student has a grievance regarding academic practices and policies, there are established procedures within each college and school of the University of Michigan-Flint for resolving such problems. For conflicts involving a faculty member, all such procedures require initial consultation with the individual instructor. If the conflict is of a discriminatory or sexually harassing nature, the student should consult with the Office of Human Resources and Affirmative Action or the Dean. Formal complaints must be filed with the Office of Human Resources and Affirmative Action.

See the appropriate school or college section of this Catalog for a statement of the academic grievance procedure to be followed. Graduate students should consult the Office of the Dean of Graduate Programs at the University of Michigan-Flint.

Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities



The primary purpose of the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities (the Statement) is to assist the University of Michigan-Flint (the University) in providing an environment which supports the educational process and the well-being and safety of the campus community. Free inquiry and free expression are essential attributes of the University community. As members of the community, students are encouraged to develop the capacity for critical judgment and to engage in a substantial independent search for truth. The freedom to learn depends upon the opportunities and conditions in the classroom, the campus, and in the larger community. The responsibility to secure and respect general conditions conducive to the freedom to learn should be shared by all members of the academic community.  When students choose to accept admission to the University, they accept the rights and responsibilities of membership in the University’s academic and social community.

As members of the University community, students are expected to uphold its values by maintaining a high standard of conduct. Such values include, but are not limited to, civility, dignity, diversity, education, equality, freedom, honesty, and safety. The Statement is intended to define conduct expectations, to identify sanctions which may be imposed when misconduct occurs, and to ensure that students are treated with fundamental fairness and personal dignity. The Statement is an articulation of the University’s commitment to recognize and support the rights of its students and to provide a guide for defining behaviors the University considers inappropriate. It is not, however, meant to be an exhaustive list of all rights supported by the University or of all actions which may be considered misconduct.

Within the University, entities (such as schools and colleges, campus, professional, and student organizations) have developed policies that outline standards of conduct governing their constituents and that sometimes provide procedures for sanctioning violations of those standards. This Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities does not replace those standards; nor does it constrain the procedures or sanctions provided by those policies. This Statement describes possible behaviors which are inconsistent with the values of the University community; it outlines procedures to respond to such behaviors; and it suggests possible sanctions which are intended to educate and to safeguard members of the University community.

Members of the University community are accountable to both civil authorities and to the University for acts which violate the law and this Statement. Disciplinary action at the University will, normally, proceed during the pendency of external civil or criminal proceedings and will not be subject to challenge on the grounds that external civil or criminal charges involving the same incident are pending or have been invoked, dismissed, or reduced.

Nothing in this document should be construed so as to limit the Chancellor’s authority to maintain health, diligence, and order among students under Regents’ Bylaw 2.02. 

Academic Rights

  1. Protection of Freedom of Expression. Students are responsible for learning thoroughly the content of any course of study, but are free to take exception to the data or views presented and to reserve judgment about matters of opinion.
  2. Protection Against Improper Disclosure. Protection against improper disclosure of information regarding student views, beliefs, and political associations which instructors acquire in the course of their work as instructors, advisors, and counselors is considered a professional obligation.
  3. Protection Against Improper Academic Evaluation. Students can expect protection, through orderly procedures, against prejudice or capricious evaluation.  Students are also expected to respect the academic freedom of faculty and their rights and responsibilities to determine curriculum and evaluate academic performance.

If any student has a grievance regarding academic practices and policies, there are established procedures within each college and school of the University of Michigan-Flint for resolving such problems.  See the appropriate school or college section of the Catalog for a statement of the academic grievance procedure to be followed. Graduate students should consult the Office of Graduate Programs at the University of Michigan-Flint.

For conflicts involving a faculty member, all such procedures require initial consultation with the individual instructor. If the conflict is of a discriminatory or sexual harassing nature, the student should consult with Human Resources or the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Formal complaints must be filed with Human Resources.

Student Rights

Students at the University have the same rights and protections under the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Michigan as other citizens. These rights include freedom of expression, press, religion, and assembly. The academy has a long tradition of student activism and values freedom of expression, which includes voicing unpopular views and dissent. As members of the University community, students have the right to express their own views, but must also take responsibility for granting the same right to others.

Students have the right to be treated fairly and with dignity regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, or Vietnam-era veteran status.

Students have the right to be protected from capricious decision-making by the University and to have access to University policies which affect them. The University has an enduring commitment to provide students with a balanced and fair system of dispute resolution. Accordingly, this Statement will not deprive students of the appropriate due process protections to which they are entitled.  This Statement is one of the University’s administrative procedures and should not be equated with procedures used in civil or criminal courts.

Students and student organizations are free to discuss questions of interest to them and to express opinions publicly and privately without penalty. In conveying the ideas and opinions of students, the student press is free from censorship and the need of advance approval.

Editors, managers, and writers must subscribe to the standards of responsible journalism.  At the same time, they are protected from arbitrary suspension and removal because of student, faculty, administrative, or public disapproval of editorial policy or content.

Students have the right to privacy of personal possessions. Searches and seizures may be conducted by appropriate University officials, but only for specific reasons of probable cause and not freely at will. The student(s) being searched must be notified of the object of the search, unless there is immediate danger to person or property.

Student Responsibilities

 Along with rights come certain responsibilities.  Students at the University are expected to act consistently with the values of the University community and to obey local, state, and federal laws. 


Students are expected to comply with published University policies. The following behaviors, for example, contradict the values of the University community and are subject to disciplinary action under this Statement: 

A.     Physically harming another person including acts such as killing, assaulting, or battering

B.     Sexually assaulting another person

C.     Sexually harassing another person. Sexual harassment consists of sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and verbal, visual, or physical conduct that stigmatizes or victimizes an individual on the basis of sex or sexual orientation where such behavior: 

Involves an express or implied threat to an individual’s academic efforts, employment, participation in University-sponsored extracurricular activities, or personal safety; or
Has the purpose or reasonably foreseeable effect of interfering with an individual’s academic efforts, employment, participation in University sponsored extracurricular activities, or personal safety; or
Creates an intimidating, hostile, or demeaning environment for educational pursuits, employment, or participation in University-sponsored extracurricular activities.

D.     Hazing

E.     Stalking or harassing another person

F.     Possessing, using, or storing firearms, explosives, or weapons on University-controlled property or at University events or programs (unless approved by the Department of Public Safety; such approval will be given only in extraordinary circumstances)

G.     Tampering with fire or other safety equipment or setting unauthorized fires

H.     Illegally possessing or using alcohol

I.      Illegally distributing, manufacturing, or selling alcohol

J.      Illegally possessing or using drugs

K.     Illegally distributing, manufacturing, or selling drugs

L.     Intentionally and falsely reporting bombs, fires, or other emergencies to a University official

M.     Stealing, vandalizing, damaging, destroying, or defacing University property or the property of others

N.     Obstructing or disrupting classes, research projects, or other activities or programs of the University; or obstructing access to University facilities, property, or programs (except for behavior that is protected by the University’s policy on Freedom of Speech and Artistic Expression)

O.     Making, possessing, or using any falsified University document or record; altering any University document or record, including identification cards

P.     Assuming another person’s identity or role through deception or without proper authorization. Communicating or acting under the guise, name, identification, email address, signature, or indicia of another person without proper authorization, or communicating under the rubric of an organization, entity, or unit that you do not have the authority to represent

Q.     Failing to leave University-controlled premises when told to do so by a police or security officer with reasonable cause

R.     Conviction, a plea of no contest, acceptance of responsibility or acceptance of sanctions for a crime or civil infraction (other than a minor traffic offense) in state or federal court if the underlying behavior impacts the University community

S.     Misusing, failing to comply with, or jeopardizing Statement procedures, sanctions, or mediated agreements, or interfering with participants involved in the resolution process

T.    Violating University computer policies            

Scope of the Violations

Behavior which occurs in the city of Flint, on University-controlled property, or at University sponsored events/programs may violate the Statement. Behavior which occurs outside the city of Flint or outside University-controlled property may violate the Statement only if the behavior poses an obvious and serious threat to harm to any member (s) of the University community.

The Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities is intended to incorporate other specific University policies by reference. These policies include: Information Technology Services (ITS) Technology Policies, and A Resident’s Guide to Community Living from the Office of Housing and Residential Life (available in their entirety at, The Statement will be used to address violations of these policies only if the violation warrants a process or a sanction beyond what is available in these policies. In such cases, policy adjudicators may take intermediate action regarding a complaint as defined by their individual policy; however, final resolution may occur under the procedures outlined in this Statement.


The University will use the following procedures to respond to behavior which goes against the values of the University community as defined in this Statement. The University considers the procedures for resolving disputes a part of its educational mission and is committed to a process that provides for peer review. Persons who have questions about the Statement should contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs who provides support to all participants.  Resolution and appeal processes are administrative functions and are not subject to the same rules of civil or criminal proceedings. Because some violations of these standards are also violations of law, students may be accountable to both the legal system and the University.

Any person who knowingly and intentionally files a false complaint under these procedures is subject to disciplinary action. 

Records of non-academic misconduct will be maintained by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs and destroyed seven (7) years after the charged student’s separation from the University.

For good cause, any time limit in these procedures may be extended by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. 

The Hearing Panel is not bound by the legal rules of evidence. 

The Hearing Panel shall exercise control over the hearing to avoid needless consumption of time and to prevent the harassment or intimidation of witnesses. The Hearing Board may limit testimony based on redundancy or lack of relevancy. 

Stage 1: Initiating the Resolution Process: Any student, faculty member, or staff member may submit a complaint alleging a violation of the Statement. A student, faculty member, or staff member may also submit a complaint based upon information reported to that person. All complaints must be submitted to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (AVC DSA), in writing, within six months after the incident(s) alleged in the complaint. The AVC DSA may waive the six-month limitation when a late submission is reasonable. If the AVC DSA determines, based on an investigation, that the alleged behavior may be a violation of the Statement, the AVC DSA will notify the accused student and schedule a meeting as described below.  

Stage 2: Resolution Process: The AVC DSA will meet with the accused student to explain the complaint and the resolution process. The student may be accompanied by an advisor. The student will have the opportunity to ask questions and make a statement.  The AVC DSA will inform the accused student (1) that statements the student makes to the AVC DSA may be considered at any hearing, (2) that the student does not have to make a statement at the initial meeting, (3) that all disciplinary records are confidential to the extent permitted by law, and (4) that the student has a right to know the potential sanctions before admitting responsibility (but may not appeal if he/she accepts responsibility without asking about sanctions).  

The accused student has a choice of the following methods of dispute resolution:

A.     Acceptance of Responsibility: The accused student has the option of accepting responsibility for the charges and accepting the sanction chosen by the AVC DSA.  Upon request, the accused student has the right to know the potential sanctions before accepting responsibility, however the accused student may not appeal if he/she accepts responsibility without asking about sanctions. The accused student also has the option of accepting responsibility for the charges and requesting a hearing on the sanctions under the procedures outlined in B. 

B.    Hearing: The accused student may choose to have a Resolution Officer or a Student Resolution Panel arbitrate the dispute. In cases which involve more than one accused student, the students will have the option of choosing whether they have the same or separate hearings. If students cannot agree, the hearings will be separate.

       Each party may be accompanied at the hearing by a personal advisor, who may be an attorney; however, the advisor may not participate directly in the proceedings, but may only advise the party. For example, the advisor may not question witnesses or make presentations. 
At a hearing, the AVC DSA will be in charge of preparing and submitting information gathered during the investigation. Both parties may have access to all written or other information that will be considered prior to the hearing. Both parties have the right to the names of witnesses providing information prior to the hearing. 
During the hearing, the Resolution Officer, AVC DSA, accused student, complaining witness and student panelists (if applicable) have the right to question (See Appendix A) the complaining witness and the AVC DSA. Each of the above enumerated persons may also ask questions of (1) the accused student, if he/she chooses to testify and (2) of any witnesses who have presented information. Silence by the accused will not be used as evidence of responsibility for a charge. Witnesses may be present in the hearing room only when they are presenting information. At any time during the hearing, the accused student may request a recess to consult with his/her advisor. 
The accused student, complaining witness, and AVC may also present written reports to the panel or Resolution Officer. The accused student and complaining witness may make statements to the panel or Resolution Officer at the beginning and end of the proceeding. 
To ensure the privacy of the parties and to maximize the educational potential of the process, both parties must agree to the admission of any other people (except witnesses or advisors) to the hearing. To ensure fairness and consistency, and to maximize the educational potential of the process, panelists must have access to details, rationales, and results of past cases. The student is presumed not responsible unless clear and convincing evidence is presented that a violation of the Statement has occurred. 
A tape recording will be made of Statement hearings, and will be made available (in the Assistant Vice Chancellor’s office) to the accused student or complaining witness upon request during the period in which an appeal may be filed or is pending. In all cases, the Resolution Officer will issue a written decision containing findings of fact, conclusions as to responsibility, and rationales for all sanctions imposed. The hearing body will deliberate in closed session and its decision will be communicated to the student charged, in writing, by the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Services and Enrollment Management within five (5) days.

Stage 3: Appealing the Resolution Process: An appeals process is an essential safeguard for an imperfect human process that attempts very hard to be fair. The appeal process is available to each party. Appeals may be filed for the following reasons: proper procedures were not followed, the evidence clearly does not support the finding(s), sanctions are insufficient or excessive relative to the violation, or there is new evidence not reasonably available at the time of the hearing. All appeals must be submitted in writing to the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs within ten (10) academic calendar days following the Assistant Vice Chancellor’s (AVC DSA) decision to accept or modify the recommendations resulting from the hearing. The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (VC DSA) may waive the 10 day limitation when a late submission is reasonable. Appeals will be reviewed by the Faculty Committee for Student Concerns.  The Faculty Committee for Student Concerns may take one of the following actions:  confirm the decision made through the hearing process, alter the sanction(s), or recommend a re-hearing.  



Sanctions are designed to promote the University’s educational mission. Sanctions may also serve to promote safety or to deter students from behavior which harms, harasses, or threatens people or property or is motivated by bias because of membership in a group listed in Paragraph 2 under Student Rights. Although it is inappropriate for the University to try to change a student’s convictions, it is appropriate for the University to ask a student to change inappropriate behavior. Some behavior is so harmful to the University community or so deleterious to the educational process that it may require more serious sanctions: removal from housing, removal from specific courses or activities, suspension from the University, or expulsion. One or more of the following sanctions may be recommended:

A.     Formal Reprimand: A formal notice that the Statement has been violated and that future violations will be dealt with more severely.

B.     Disciplinary Probation: A designated period of time during which the student is not in good standing with the University. The terms of probation may involve restrictions of student privileges and/or set specific behavioral expectations. The appropriate University units shall be notified of the student’s probationary status.

C.     Restitution: Compensation for loss, damage, or injury to the appropriate party in the form of service, money, or material replacement.

D.     Restriction from Employment at the University: Prohibition or limitation on University employment.

E.     Class/Workshop Attendance: Enrollment and completion of a class or workshop that could help the student understand why her or his behavior was inappropriate.

F.     Educational Project: Completion of a project specifically designed to help the student understand why her or his behavior was inappropriate.

G.     Service: Performance of one or more tasks designed to benefit the community and help the student understand why her or his behavior was inappropriate.

H.     Removal from Specific Courses or Activities: Suspension or transfer from courses or activities at the University for a specified period of time.

I.      No Contact: Restriction from entering specific University areas and/or all forms of contact with certain person(s).

J.     Suspension in Abeyance: During Suspension in Abeyance, the student remains enrolled. However, any violation of the conduct regulations during the period of Suspension in Abeyance will, after a determination of guilt, result in automatic suspension.

K.    Suspension: Separation from the University for a specified period of time or until certain conditions are met. When a student is suspended during a term, he or she is not exempted from the payment of tuition for that term.

L.     Expulsion: Permanent separation from the University. When a student is expelled during a term, he or she is not exempted from the payment of tuition for that term.

M.    University Housing Transfer or Removal: Placement in another room or removal from University housing.     

Related Procedures       


A.     Emergency Suspension. If a student’s actions pose an immediate danger to any member of the University community, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or a designee may immediately suspend the student pending a meeting. Except in extraordinary circumstances that meeting will be scheduled within two academic calendar days. At this meeting, the student will be informed of the nature of the alleged violation, presented with available evidence, and given the opportunity to make a statement and present evidence. If the emergency suspension is continued, the student will be offered a hearing option within ten academic calendar days.

B.     Procedural and Interpretive Questions. All procedural and interpretive questions concerning the Statement will be resolved by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (VC DSA) or a designee. At any time, the VC DSA or the Assistant Vice Chancellor (AVC DSA) may consult the Office of General Counsel about a case or procedures.

C.     Selection of Student Panelists, Resolution Officers, and Appeals Committee Members. Members of the Student Judicial Board, whose selection is outlined in the Student Government Council Constitution (See Appendix B), will serve as student panelists. Resolution Officers are recommended by the Faculty Council and/or the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.  Each Student Resolution Panel will consist of three (3) voting student panelists and a non-voting Resolution Officer.

D.     Records of Resolution Actions: Records will be maintained by the AVC DSA with regard to any and all actions taken under the Statement. Accordingly, records will be maintained by the AVC DSA of complaints, hearings, findings, and sanctions. For each case in which a complaint is issued, including cases where the student accepts responsibility, the record will recite the facts of all conduct found or admitted to be in violation of the Statement with sufficient specificity to indicate that a violation of the Statement occurred. Confidentiality of records will be maintained to the extent permitted by law and the University of Michigan-Flint Rights and Records Policy. If a student is suspended or expelled, a notation will be made on the student’s academic record. The notation of suspension will be removed at the time the student is readmitted to the University. 

E.     Student Access to Records. Records and documents that will be considered during a hearing will be made available in advance to all parties but may be redacted to protect the privacy rights of individuals not directly involved in the resolution process.

F.     Reports of Actions. Statistical reports of actions taken through the Statement will be published following each academic term. These data will cover the number of complaints and the types of violations, resolutions, and sanctions.

G.    Concurrent Legal and Statement Proceedings. To ensure the educational potential of the process and in fairness to a complainant, the University should provide a prompt response to behavior which goes against the values of the University as defined by the Statement. In the interest of fairness to an accused student, however, a student undergoing civil or criminal action for the same behavior which forms the basis of a complaint under this Statement, may request a reasonable delay of the Statement resolution process until external proceedings are resolved. In determining whether a request is reasonable, the AVC DSA will evaluate the unique circumstances of the case, including the length of the delay and the impact of delay on the complainant and community, in addition to protecting the integrity of the resolution process. In granting a request for a delay, the AVC DSA may implement conditions on continued enrollment, as appropriate. If an accused student’s request for delay is denied, he or she may withdraw from enrollment and may not re-enroll until authorized by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs or his/her designee.

H.    Amending the Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities: The Student Government Council, the Faculty Council, or the Executive Officers of the Flint campus may propose amendments to the Statement. All proposed amendments will be reviewed by the Faculty Committee for Student Concerns. After consultation with each of the above mentioned groups, as well as the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, the Faculty Committee for Student Concerns will forward the proposed amendments to the Chancellor of the University of Michigan-Flint with the committee’s recommendation on implementation. The final decision on amending the Statement will be the Chancellor’s.

The chancellor will endeavor to communicate his or her decision to accept or reject each of the proposed amendments in a public and timely manner, during the regular academic year. It is suggested that the chancellor’s communication to the student body state a rationale for each decision to reject an amendment. The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs has the authority to publish procedures for the amendment process.    

Appendix A

The following protocol will be observed during hearings: 


Witness (complainant or other) has the opportunity to make a statement

Panelists question the witness

Charged student questions the witness

Panelists ask any follow-up questions 

Charged Student:

Charged student has the opportunity to make a statement

Panelists question the charged student

Appendix B

The Judicial Board (J-Board) shall consist of five students.  Candidates for the Judicial Board shall be interviewed and appointed by an interview board consisting of seven members as outlined below:

Composition of Interview Board

Two members of the faculty

J-Board Chief Justice and (1) Associate Justice

Student Government (SG) (or designee) & Vice President (or designee)

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs (or designee) 

All appointments to the Judicial Board shall be made by recommendation of the SG advisor and shall require the confirmation of the SG by a 2/3 vote. The term of office shall last from the time of such confirmation, until such time as he/she shall cease being a student at the University, or until such time as he/she resigns or is removed from office. 

The Judicial Board shall consist of a Chief Justice, Senior Associate Justice, and three Associate Justices; one of whom shall be elected as secretary. Appointments to the position of Chief Justice shall be given to the most senior member, with the second most senior member being given the position of Senior Associate Justice. The secretary shall be selected from the three remaining members. In the event of a tie for seniority, the members involved in the tie shall become candidates for an election to be held among the members of SG. 

For a complete copy of the Student Government constitution, please contact SG at (810) 762-3078 or visit Room 364 University Center.

University of Michigan Student Rights and Records


It is the policy of the University of Michigan to comply with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Federal law that governs release of and access to student education records.  For students in the GEC (Genesee Early College) Program, additional information on FERPA rights can be found on page 12 and 13 of the (GEC Student Handbook).


A student is an individual for whom the University maintains education records and who is or has been enrolled in and attended credit bearing courses at the University.

Education records include those records which contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by the University or by a person acting for the University. The following are not education records: records kept in the sole possession of the maker, law enforcement records, records relating to individuals employed by the University, records related to treatment provided by a health professional, records that contain information about an individual after that person is no longer a student, i.e. alumni records.

Directory information may appear in public documents and may otherwise be released to individuals outside the University without the student’s specific consent. The University of Michigan has designated the following items as directory information: name, address and telephone number, UM school or college, class level, major field, dates of attendance at the University of Michigan, current enrollment status, degree(s) received and date(s) awarded, honors and awards received, participation in recognized activities, previous schools attended, height and weight of members of intercollegiate athletic teams.

Non-disclosure of directory information may be requested by currently enrolled students. Non-disclosure means the University may not release any directory information about the student, except as permitted under the provisions of FERPA. The University may not even acknowledge to third parties that the person is a student.

Legitimate educational interest is the need to review an education record in order for a University official to carry out his or her responsibilities in regard to performing an administrative task outlined in the official’s duties, or performing a supervisory or instructional task directly related to the student’s education.

A University official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support position; a person elected to the Board of Regents; a student or University graduate serving on an official University committee or assisting another University official in performing his or her tasks; or a person employed by or under contract to, or serving as an agent of the University to perform a specific task.

Authorized disclosures without the student’s prior written consent include but are not limited to information necessary to the health or safety of the student or other individuals if the University determines there is an articulable and significant threat to the health or safety of a student or other individuals, internal disclosures for legitimate educational reason, information returned to the author/sender of the information, information forwarded to schools where the student plans to enroll or transfer, notice to parents about drug and alcohol violations. The University of Michigan does not routinely disclose information without the student’s consent to parents of federal tax dependents.  State and local education authorities may allow access to your records to third parties with written agreement in conjunction with the evaluation of federal, or state supported education programs; including early childhood education, elementary and secondary education, post-secondary education, special education, job training, career and technical education, and adult education.

Types of Records and Where They Are Located
In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, several offices at the University of Michigan-Flint collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the University, both University policy and federal law accord you a number of rights concerning these records. The following is designed to inform you concerning where records about you may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which you or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action to take if you believe that the information in your record is inaccurate or that your rights have been compromised.

Because the University does not maintain all student records in one location, this document contains general information related to student records. Copies of the University’s “Policies on Student Records” and the pertinent federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), are posted on the bulletin board outside the Registrar’s Office, 266 University Pavilion.

Only two offices have records on all students. The Office of the Registrar maintains information pertaining to enrollment (registration) and official academic records (transcripts). The Student Accounts Office maintains information about charges assessed and payments made. Students have the following rights concerning their records:

Student Rights

Beginning the first day of the semester, you have the following rights concerning your student records:

  1. The right to inspect and review all material in your file(s) except:
    • Professional mental health treatment records to the extent necessary, in the judgment of the attending physician or professional counselor, to avoid detrimental effects to the mental health of the student or of others. These records may, however, be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of your choice.
    • Financial information furnished by your parents in support of an application for financial aid.
    • Confidential letters of recommendation that were placed in your file prior to January 1, 1975.
    • Confidential letters of recommendation concerning admission, employment, or honorary recognition, for which you have waived access. (The University may not require you to sign a waiver in order to obtain services, but a person writing a recommendation may insist on a waiver as a condition for his or her writing it.)
    • Personal notes made by a faculty member or counselor that are accessible only to that person and are not shared with others.
    • Materials in any admissions files, until you have been admitted to, and have attended the University of- Michigan-Flint.
    • All other records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.

Requests to review records must be made in writing to the responsible official of each office that maintains records. The responsible office will comply with the request within 45 days of its receipt.

  1. The right to request an amendment of your education records if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you believe there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed, and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The Registrar will notify you of the decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.
  2. The right in most instances to control access to information in your records by persons or agencies outside the University. With respect to University officials, information from your records will be made available only if the University official can demonstrate a legitimate educational interest consistent with their official functions for the University and consistent with normal professional and legal practices. Except for directory information, however, persons outside the University - including your parents and/or spouse - will be given information from your records only (1) when you authorize it in writing, or (2) in connection with your application for or receipt of financial aid, or (3) in connection with studies conducted for the purpose of accreditation, development and validation of predictive tests, administration of student aid programs, or improvement of instruction, or (4) when disclosure is required in a health or safety emergency or by federal or state law or by subpoena.  If information from your record is subpoenaed, a reasonable attempt to notify you will be made as quickly as possible. In addition, the results of a disciplinary hearing conducted by the institution against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence will be made available to the alleged victim of that crime.
  3. The right to limit disclosure of your directory information. If you do not want the University to release those items designated as directory information, you must file a written request to that effect with the Office of the Registrar. However, you should carefully consider the consequences of that action before making the decision to do so. Information is not withheld selectively. If you choose to have directory information withheld, all items designated as directory information will be withheld from everyone who inquires. If you have requested non-disclosure of directory information ad wish to repeal the request, you must file a written request to that effect with the Office of the Registrar.
  4. The right to a hearing if you believe that you have been improperly denied access to your records, your records contain information that is inaccurate or misleading, or information from your records has been improperly released to third parties. If you believe one or more of these situations has occurred, contact the head of the office responsible for the record or send an email to the Registrar, detailing the specifics of the situation including the office(s) and records involved. You may request a hearing by a hearing panel designated by the Registrar. If the decision of the hearing panel agrees with you, the necessary corrective action will be taken. If the decision of the hearing panel disagrees with you, you have the right to submit an explanatory statement, which must be included as a permanent part of your record.
  5. The right to file a complaint to federal officials if you feel there has been a violation of the rights afforded you under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The complaint must be submitted in writing within 180 days of the alleged violation to:

U.S. Department of Education
The Family Policy Compliance Office
600 Independent Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605
Phone: (202) 260-3887

The Office of the Registrar is required to keep a record of all requests for non-directory information from your records made by persons outside the University, and to make that record available for you to examine.

FERPA rights cease upon death. However, it is the policy of the University of Michigan-Flint that no records of deceased students be released for a period of 25 years after the date of death, unless specifically authorized by the executor of the estate of the deceased or by the next of kin.

Questions about policies and procedures regarding student records within the University of Michigan-Flint should be directed to:

Karen A. Arnould
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan-Flint
266 University Pavilion
Flint, MI 48502-1950

Offices that may Maintain Student Records at the University of Michigan-Flint

Academic Advising and Career Center, 285 University Pavilion
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 245 University Pavilion
College of Arts and Sciences, 516 David M. French Hall
Counseling, Accessibility, and Psychological Services (CAPS), 264 UCEN
Office of Extended Learning, 240 David M. French Hall
Office of Financial Aid, 277 University Pavilion
Office of Graduate Programs, 251 Frances Willson Thompson Library
Frances Willson Thompson Library
Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion
Department of Public Safety, Hubbard Building
School of Education and Human Services, 444 David M. French Hall
School of Health Professions and Studies, 3180 William S. White Building
School of Management, 2203 Riverfront Building
Student Accounts Office, 264 University Pavilion
Student Life, 375 UCEN
Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs, 237 University Pavilion 



The University of Michigan-Flint provides several offices where you can go for help, information or advice about discrimination, harassment or misconduct:

Equity & Diversity Services
217 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3169

Office of the Ombuds
237 University Pavilion, (810) 762-0002                                           

Department of Public Safety
Hubbard Building, (810) 762-3335
School of Education and Human Services
444 David M. French Hall, (810) 766-6878
College of Arts and Sciences
516 David M. French Hall, (810) 762-3234
School of Health Professions and Studies
3180 William S. White Building, (810) 237-6503
Counseling, Accessibility, and Psychological Services (CAPS)
264 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3456
School of Management
2203 Riverfront Building, (810) 762-3160
Educational Opportunity Initiatives
280 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3365
Student Life
375 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3431
Human Resources
213 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3150
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
237 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3434