Jul 23, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Rights & Responsibilities

Click on any of the following links for information:

Student Rights and Responsibilities


Academic Rights

  1. Protection of Freedom of Expression.  Students are responsible for learning thoroughly the content of any course of study, but are free to take exception to the data or views presented and to reserve judgment about matters of opinion.
  2. Protection Against Improper Disclosure.  Protection against improper disclosure of information regarding student views, beliefs, and political associations which instructors acquire in the course of their work as instructors, advisors, and counselors is considered a professional obligation.
  3. Protection Against Improper Academic Evaluation.  Students can expect protection, through orderly procedures, against prejudice or capricious evaluation.  Students are also expected to respect the academic freedom of faculty and their rights and responsibilities to determine curriculum and evaluate academic performance.

If any student has a grievance regarding academic practices and policies, there are established procedures within each college and school of the University of Michigan-Flint for resolving such problems.  See the appropriate school or college section of the Catalog for a statement of the academic grievance procedure to be followed.  

For conflicts involving a faculty or staff member, students are encouraged to try to resolve the matter through consultation with that individual. If the conflict is of a discriminatory or sexually harassing nature, the student should consult with the Institutional Equity Specialist or the Office of the Dean of Students.  Complaints against a faculty or staff member must be filed with the Institutional Equity Specialist.

Academic Integrity

Intellectual integrity is the most fundamental value of an academic community. Students and faculty alike are expected to uphold the highest standards of honesty and integrity in their scholarship. No departure from the highest standards of intellectual integrity, whether by cheating, plagiarism, fabrication, falsification, or aiding and abetting dishonesty by another person, can be tolerated in a community of scholars. Such transgressions may result in action ranging from reduced grade or failure of a course, to expulsion from the University or revocation of degree.

It is the responsibility of all students and faculty to know the policies on academic integrity in the instructional units at the University of Michigan-Flint. Information about these policies and the appeals process is available from the appropriate administrative office of the instructional units: in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; in the School of Education and Human Services, the Office of the Dean of the School of Education and Human Services; in the School of Management, the Office of the Dean of the School of Management; in the School of Health Professions and Studies, the Office of the Dean of the School of Health Professions and Studies and for graduate students, the Office of the Dean of Graduate Programs.

Departments and programs within these instructional units may have specific policies and procedures which further delineate academic integrity. In such cases, students are bound by the University policy on academic integrity as well as these department or program policies.

Procedural Rights of the Accused Student. A student who is charged with academic dishonesty by an instructor, administrator, or another student may be assured that he/she has the right to a fair hearing of the charges and the evidence, the right to question witnesses, to invite witnesses on his/her behalf, and to introduce whatever other evidence may be relevant to the charge.

Code of Academic Conduct. The University, like all communities, functions best when its members treat one another with honesty, fairness, respect, and trust. Therefore, an individual should realize that deception for the purpose of individual gain is an offense against the members of the community. Such dishonesty includes:

Plagiarism: taking credit for someone else’s work or ideas, submitting a piece of work (for example, an essay, research paper, assignment, laboratory report) which in part or in whole is not entirely the student’s own work without fully and accurately attributing those same portions to their correct source.

Cheating: using unauthorized notes, or study aids, or information from another student or student’s paper on an examination; altering a graded work after it has been returned, then submitting the work for regrading; allowing another person to do one’s work, then submitting the work under one’s own name.

Fabrication: fabricating data; selectively reporting or omitting conflicting data for deceptive purposes; presenting data in a piece of work when the data were not gathered in accordance with guidelines defining the appropriate methods of collecting or generating data; failing to include a substantially accurate account of the method by which the data were gathered or collected.

Aiding and Abetting Dishonesty: providing material or information to another person when it should reasonably be expected that such action could result in these materials or information being used in a manner that would violate this code of academic integrity.

Falsification of Records and Official Documents: altering documents affecting academic records; forging a signature of authorization or falsifying or omitting necessary information on an official academic document, election form, grade report, letter of permission, petition, or any document designed to meet or exempt a student from an established College or University academic regulation; falsification or unauthorized altering of information in any official academic computer file.

Identity Theft: Assuming another person’s identity or role through deception or without proper authorization. Communicating or acting under the guise, name, identification, email address, signature, or indicia of another person without proper authorization, or communicating under the rubric of an organization, entity, or unit that you do not have the authority to represent.

Misrepresentation and Other Acts of Academic Dishonesty: fraudulently obtaining and/or using academic materials that would give oneself an unfair advantage over other students or would deceive the person evaluating one’s academic performance.

Attempts. An attempt to commit any act prohibited by this code may be punished to the same extent as a completed violation.

Use of Information Technology


Found online at: https://www.umflint.edu/its/policies#accessCompliance


It is the policy of the University to attempt to provide appropriate access to local, national, and international sources of information. It is the policy of the University that information resources will be used by members of its community with respect for privacy and public trust.

In accordance with the policies above, the University works to ensure that intellectual property and University records are protected from unauthorized use or distribution.

Authorized Use

As conditions of use for Information Technology Services (ITS) facilities and communication systems accessed through their use, all users agree to respect (1) the privacy of University records, (2) the legal protection provided by copyright and license agreements for programs and data, (3) the intended use for which access to the resources was granted, and (4) the integrity of the computing systems.

Appropriate Use

All users of computing resources should be mindful of the impact of their participation on the campus community, should engage only in authorized use, and should abide by standards of good citizenship in general.

Responsible Use

Users of ITS resources are expected to use those resources in a responsible and efficient manner. Users are expected to refrain from engaging in illegal, unauthorized, inappropriate, for-profit, or deliberately wasteful practices as outlined in the Standard Practice Guide.

Student Academic Grievance Procedure


If any student has a grievance regarding academic practices and policies, there are established procedures within each college and school of the University of Michigan-Flint for resolving such problems. For conflicts involving a faculty member, all such procedures require initial consultation with the individual instructor. If the conflict is of a discriminatory or sexually harassing nature, the student should consult with the Office of Human Resources. Formal complaints must be filed with the Institutional Equity Specialist (IES) in Office of Human Resources.

See the appropriate school or college section of this Catalog (College of Arts and Sciences , College of Health Sciences , School of Education and Human Services , School of Management  and School of Nursing  for a statement of the academic grievance procedure to be followed.

Student Non-Academic Conduct Policies & Procedures


Information regarding the policies and procedures that govern student non-academic conduct can be found at: https://www.umflint.edu/deanofstudents/

Student Rights and Records


The University of Michigan complies with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Federal law that governs release of and access to student education records.  For students in the GEC (Genesee Early College) Program, additional information on FERPA rights can be found on page 12 and 13 of the (GEC Student Handbook).


A student is an individual for whom the University maintains education records and who is or has been enrolled in and attended credit bearing courses at the University.

Education records include those records which contain information directly related to a student and which are maintained by the University or by a person acting for the University. The following are not education records: records kept in the sole possession of the maker, law enforcement records, records relating to individuals employed by the University, records related to treatment provided by a health professional, records that contain information about an individual after that person is no longer a student, i.e. alumni records.

Directory information may appear in public documents and may otherwise be released to individuals outside the University without the student’s specific consent. The University of Michigan has designated the following items as directory information: name, address, email address, and telephone number, UM school or college, class level, major field, dates of attendance at the University of Michigan, current enrollment status, degree(s) received and date(s) awarded, honors and awards received, participation in recognized activities, previous schools attended, height and weight of members of intercollegiate athletic teams.

Non-disclosure of directory information may be requested by currently enrolled students. Non-disclosure means the University may not release any directory information about the student, except as permitted under the provisions of FERPA. The University may not even acknowledge to third parties that the person is a student.

Legitimate educational interest is the need to review an education record in order for a University official to carry out his or her responsibilities in regard to performing an administrative task outlined in the official’s duties, or performing a supervisory or instructional task directly related to the student’s education.

A University official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support position; a person elected to the Board of Regents; a student or University graduate serving on an official University committee or assisting another University official in performing his or her tasks; or a person employed by or under contract to, or serving as an agent of the University to perform a specific task.

Authorized disclosures without the student’s prior written consent include but are not limited to information necessary to the health or safety of the student or other individuals if the University determines there is an articulable and significant threat to the health or safety of a student or other individuals, internal disclosures for legitimate educational reason, information returned to the author/sender of the information, information forwarded to schools where the student plans to enroll or transfer, notice to parents about drug and alcohol violations. The University of Michigan does not routinely disclose information without the student’s consent to parents of federal tax dependents.  State and local education authorities may allow access to your records to third parties with written agreement in conjunction with the evaluation of federal, or state supported education programs; including early childhood education, elementary and secondary education, post-secondary education, special education, job training, career and technical education, and adult education.

Types of Records and Where They Are Located
In carrying out their assigned responsibilities, several offices at the University of Michigan-Flint collect and maintain information about students. Although these records belong to the University, both University policy and federal law accord you a number of rights concerning these records. The following is designed to inform you concerning where records about you may be kept and maintained, what kinds of information are in those records, the conditions under which you or anyone else may have access to information in those records, and what action to take if you believe that the information in your record is inaccurate or that your rights have been compromised.

Only two offices have records on all students. The Office of the Registrar maintains information pertaining to enrollment (registration) and official academic records (transcripts). The Student Accounts Office maintains information about charges assessed and payments made. 

Student Rights

Beginning the first day of the semester, you have the following rights concerning your student records:

  1. The right to inspect and review all material in your file(s) except:
    • Professional mental health treatment records to the extent necessary, in the judgment of the attending physician or professional counselor, to avoid detrimental effects to the mental health of the student or of others. These records may, however, be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of your choice.
    • Financial information furnished by your parents in support of an application for financial aid.
    • Confidential letters of recommendation that were placed in your file prior to January 1, 1975.
    • Confidential letters of recommendation concerning admission, employment, or honorary recognition, for which you have waived access. (The University may not require you to sign a waiver in order to obtain services, but a person writing a recommendation may insist on a waiver as a condition for his or her writing it.)
    • Personal notes made by a faculty member or counselor that are accessible only to that person and are not shared with others.
    • Materials in any admissions files, until you have been admitted to, and have attended the University of- Michigan-Flint.
    • All other records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of education records.

Requests to review records must be made in writing to the responsible official of each office that maintains records. The responsible office will comply with the request within 45 days of its receipt.

  1. The right to request an amendment of your education records if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you believe there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed, and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. The Registrar will notify you of the decision and advise you regarding appropriate steps if you do not agree with the decision.
  2. The right in most instances to control access to information in your records by persons or agencies outside the University. With respect to University officials, information from your records will be made available only if the University official can demonstrate a legitimate educational interest consistent with their official functions for the University and consistent with normal professional and legal practices. Except for directory information, however, persons outside the University - including your parents and/or spouse - will be given information from your records only (1) when you authorize it in writing, or (2) in connection with your application for or receipt of financial aid, or (3) in connection with studies conducted for the purpose of accreditation, development and validation of predictive tests, administration of student aid programs, or improvement of instruction, or (4) when disclosure is required in a health or safety emergency or by federal or state law or by subpoena.  If information from your record is subpoenaed, a reasonable attempt to notify you will be made as quickly as possible. In addition, the results of a disciplinary hearing conducted by the institution against the alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence will be made available to the alleged victim of that crime.
  3. The right to limit disclosure of your directory information. If you do not want the University to release those items designated as directory information, you must file a written request to that effect with the Office of the Registrar. However, you should carefully consider the consequences of that action before making the decision to do so. Information is not withheld selectively. If you choose to have directory information withheld, all items designated as directory information will be withheld from everyone who inquires. If you have requested non-disclosure of directory information and wish to repeal the request, you must file a written request to that effect with the Office of the Registrar.
  4. The right to a hearing if you believe that you have been improperly denied access to your records, your records contain information that is inaccurate or misleading, or information from your records has been improperly released to third parties. If you believe one or more of these situations has occurred, contact the head of the office responsible for the record or send an email to the Registrar, karnould@umflint.edu detailing the specifics of the situation including the office(s) and records involved. You may request a hearing by a hearing panel designated by the Registrar. If the decision of the hearing panel agrees with you, the necessary corrective action will be taken. If the decision of the hearing panel disagrees with you, you have the right to submit an explanatory statement, which must be included as a permanent part of your record.
  5. The right to file a complaint to federal officials if you feel there has been a violation of the rights afforded you under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. The complaint must be submitted in writing within 180 days of the alleged violation to:

U.S. Department of Education
The Family Policy Compliance Office
600 Independent Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605
Phone: (202) 260-3887

The Office of the Registrar is required to keep a record of all requests for non-directory information from your records made by persons outside the University, and to make that record available for you to examine.

FERPA rights cease upon death. However, it is the policy of the University of Michigan-Flint that no records of deceased students be released for a period of 25 years after the date of death, unless specifically authorized by the executor of the estate of the deceased or by the next of kin.

The full version of the FERPA law may be found at www.ed.gov .

Questions about policies and procedures regarding student records within the University of Michigan-Flint should be directed to:

Karen A. Arnould, University Registrar
Office of the Registrar
University of Michigan-Flint
266 University Pavilion
Flint, MI 48502-1950



Record Retention Policy

As the official record keeper of the University of Michigan-Flint, the Office of the Registrar keeps the following documents in perpetuity either in imaged form or in the student database (Banner). Copies of these documents may be requested at any time by academic departments if there is a legitimate educational need.  Departments do not need to keep their own copies unless they deem it necessary.

UM-Flint transcripts*                         Final degree/graduation lists                         Withdrawal forms

Change of Major forms                      Grade changes/Extension Forms                   Residency changes

Waiver/substitution memos               Academic Standards Committee minutes/decisions

*Transfer transcripts (from other institutions) are imaged by the Admissions Offices

Academic departments must keep and dispose the following documents as follows:

Document type                                       Disposal/Destruction Timeline

Papers/Assignments/Exams               1 calendar year

ASC Petitions                                    1 calendar year

Advising Notes                                  5 calendar years after student stops attending

Grade Books**                                 1 calendar year

Copies of Change of Grade Forms       5 calendar years

Copies of Grade Extension Forms        5 calendar years

Course Syllabi                                   5 calendar years or longer if required by an accrediting body

Letters of Recommendation                Should be destroyed at the time of admission decision

(for admissions applications)                                                             

**BlackBoard Gradebooks are kept in perpetuity at this time. If you do not keep your grades in BlackBoard, you must follow the 1-year retention policy. This is particularly important when faculty leave the university. Departments must have a process for making sure the grades stay at the University of Michigan-Flint and are accessible.

Offices that may Maintain Student Records at the University of Michigan-Flint

Student Success Center, 285 University Pavilion
Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 245 University Pavilion
College of Arts and Sciences, 516 David M. French Hall
Counseling, Accessibility, and Psychological Services (CAPS), 264 UCEN

Office of the Dean of Students, 375 UCEN
Office of Extended Learning, 240 David M. French Hall
Office of Financial Aid, 277 University Pavilion
Office of Graduate Programs, 251 Frances Willson Thompson Library
Housing & Residential Life, 101 Riverfront Center

Frances Willson Thompson Library

Office of the Registrar, 266 University Pavilion
Department of Public Safety, Hubbard Building
School of Education and Human Services, 444 David M. French Hall
School of Health Professions and Studies, 3180 William S. White Building
School of Management, 2200 Riverfront BuildingStudent Accounts Office, 264 University Pavilion
School of Nursing, 2180 William S White Building
Student Involvement & Leadership, 361 UCEN
Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs, 237 University Pavilion




The University of Michigan-Flint provides several offices where you can go for help, information or advice about discrimination, harassment or misconduct:

Institutional Equity Specialist
213 University Pavilion, (810) 237-6517


Department of Public Safety
Hubbard Building, (810) 762-3335

School of Education and Human Services
444 David M. French Hall, (810) 766-6878

College of Arts and Sciences
516 David M. French Hall, (810) 762-3234

School of Health Professions and Studies
3180 William S. White Building, (810) 237-6503

Counseling, Accessibility, and Psychological Services
264 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3456

School of Management
2203 Riverfront Building, (810) 762-3160

Educational Opportunity Initiatives
280 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-3365

Office of the Dean of Students
375 Harding Mott University Center, (810) 762-5728

Human Resources
213 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3150

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
237 University Pavilion, (810) 762-3434

School of Nursing
2180 William S White Building, (810) 762-3420