Jun 18, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Dual Degree Graduate Programs

Office of Graduate Programs
251 Frances Willson Thompson Library
(810) 762-3171
Fax: (810) 766-6789
Email: graduate@umflint.edu

The University of Michigan-Flint provides arrangements for students to pursue two degrees simultaneously. Dual degree programs lead to two different degree citations on the transcript and two separate diplomas. The purpose of a dual degree program is to allow students to undertake complementary programs of graduate study simultaneously through streamlined curricular arrangements that allow double-counting of courses (see below for details). UM-Flint offers some pre-approved dual degree programs and also provides opportunities for students to initiate dual degree programs on their own. Students should contact the graduate program(s) directly for more detailed information and additional program-specific requirements.  For more information, visit www.umflint.edu/graduateprograms/dual-degree-programs.

Applying for a Dual Degree Program

To pursue a dual degree, a student must apply and receive admission to both graduate programs. Admission in one program does not guarantee admission into another.

Current UM-Flint graduate students and alumni: Those who are currently admitted to or enrolled in a UM-Flint graduate program, or who have graduated with a graduate degree from UM-Flint, must submit the following to the Office of Graduate Programs:

  1. Application for Dual Degree or Change of Program
  2. New Statement of Purpose as required by the proposed program of study
  3. Academic transcripts of coursework taken at another institution since your admission to the first graduate program of study at UM-Flint
  4. Other documents required for admission by the proposed program of study

New UM-Flint graduate students (not admitted to or graduated from any UM-Flint graduate program):  A separate Graduate Application for Admission and all required supporting documents is required for admission into each program.  See each program’s admission page for more information.

Double Counting Credit Hours for Dual Degree Programs

Students in dual degree programs may double-count a limited number of credit hours toward the requirements of both degrees. Double counting of credit hours for two certificate programs is not allowed. To request double counting, a student must complete a Dual Degree Course Election Form no later than one term prior to completing the second degree. The following general guidelines apply:

  • To preserve the integrity of each degree, at least half of the minimum required credit hours for each degree must be earned in the program under a UM-Flint registration and counted solely for that degree. For example, a student enrolled in a 36-hour master’s degree program may not apply more than a combination of 18 transfer and/or double-counted credit hours toward the UM-Flint program.
  • A degree program may overlap with only one other program for the purpose of double-counting credit hours. In other words, credit hours may never be counted for three or more purposes. If a student seeks a third certificate or program, it must stand alone.
  • When double-counting with a certificate program, one sixth of the minimum required hours for the Master’s/Professional degree alone can be double-counted.
  • Departments and programs may limit the double counting of credit hours below the maximum, but may not allow double counting above the limit. Some programs may not allow double counting of credit hours.
  • For students who are pursuing a doctoral degree and wish to use some credits earned in the doctoral program toward a master’s degree in another field, faculty in the master’s program will review the credits earned for the doctoral program to decide how many may apply toward the master’s degree. No course with “doctoral,” “dissertation,” or “preliminary” in the title may be counted toward a master’s degree.

The maximum number of credit hours that may be double-counted for a dual degree program may be determined by adding the minimum number of hours required for each program and dividing by six. For example:  

Minimum credit hours required for Degree A 


Minimum credit hours required for Degree B




Maximum number that may be double-counted





Any fraction resulting from these calculations must be rounded down to the nearest whole number of credit hours. Credit hours for a single course may not be split; a course must be double-counted in its entirety or not at all.

Double counting is allowed in cases where a student graduates from one degree program before completing the second degree. In these cases, the courses to be double-counted must have been taken no more than five years prior to the completion of the second program. Appropriate signatures from both programs must be obtained on the Dual Degree Course Election Form.

Process: To request double counting, a student must complete a Dual Degree Course Election Form no later than one term prior to completing the second degree. Students requesting double counting need to have the form signed by faculty of both programs. The form is to be forwarded to the Dean of Graduate Programs for approval. Once approved, the dean would forward the form to the Office of the Registrar for processing of the degree audits.  Students pursuing at least one Rackham program use the Rackham Dual Degree Course Form; students pursuing two non-Rackham programs use the Dual Degree Course Election Form.

Student-Initiated Dual Degree Programs

Students may pursue a dual degree arrangement with two master’s programs that is not among those dual degree programs already approved.  Students are required to complete the requirements of both programs, allowing for double counting of coursework as approved.