The concentration in Social Work requires 60 credits of social work and related courses. The program includes several hours of approved cognate and elective courses, which should be selected from the approved list in consultation with a Social Work Departmental Advisor. It is strongly recommended that 300 level courses in social work, substance abuse and criminal justice be taken in the junior year, and that 400 level courses in social work be taken in the senior year.
Requirements for Admission
Students must show evidence of suitability for the profession of social work and the ability to complete successfully the social work program through:
- Application to the program after completion of a minimum of 45 semester hours.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.4.
- At least two letters of reference provided on letterhead detailing scholarly potential, general character, and potential for social work practice. If the student transfers from another social work program, one letter should be from a faculty member associated with the program.
- Satisfactory evidence of pre-established commitment to social welfare, through, for example, appropriate volunteer experience or employment experience.
- A two to four page personal statement of interest regarding motivation and goals for seeking undergraduate social work education and evidence of suitability and fitness for the profession of social work and the ability to complete the undergraduate social work program.
- Successful completion of SWR 100 and an additional course in social work with a grade of C (2.0) or better.
Prerequisites. SOC 100 ; PSY 100 ; BIO 104 or equivalent.
Requirements. A total of 60 credits as follows:
- SWR 100 , SWR 300 , SWR 301 , SWR 302 , SWR 340 , SWR 270 ; SOC 354 (21 credits).
- One course from each of the three groups (9 credits):
- AFA 359 / SOC 359 ; ANT 378 / WGS 378 ; HCR 362 ; SOC 270 , SOC 474 .
- ANT 340 ; SOC 340 .
- PSY 230 ; SOC 220 , SOC 325 ; SWR 320 , SWR 336 .
- Professional Block (30 credits).
- SWR 360 , SWR 440 , SWR 441 , SWR 460 , SWR 461 , SWR 490 . (18 credits).
- CRJ 185 or SAT 202 (3 credits).
- One course from SWR 325 , SWR 327 , SWR 330 , SWR 338 .
- Six credits in cognate and elective courses approved by the advisor.
- Additional requirements for a University of Michigan-Flint Bachelor of Arts, to include general education requirements of the School of Education and Human Services (EHS) , and a foreign language requirement.
Approved Cognates and Electives. This list is not complete but may be used as a guide. Substitution should be made only in consultation with a social work advisor.
ANT 271 , ANT 240 , ANT 314 , ANT 330 , ANT 325 , ANT 340 , ANT 355 , ANT 372 , ANT 470 .
CRJ 185 , CRJ 382 , CRJ 289 , CRJ 388 , CRJ 389 .
ECN 201 , ECN 479 .
ENV 289 , ENV 305 .
HCR 305 , HCR 368 , HCR 376 , HCR 384 , HCR 403 , HCR 479 , HCR 487 .
HIS 369 , HIS 318 , HIS 334 , HIS 335 , HIS 329 , HIS 333 , HIS 430 , HIS 435 .
POL 120 , POL 305 , POL 309 , POL 313 , POL 329 , POL 375 , POL 428 .
PSY 326 , PSY 351 , PSY 363 .
SAT 202 , SAT 320 , SAT 345 .
SOC 220 , SOC 325 , SOC 330 , SOC 359 , SOC 368 , SOC 372 , SOC 380 , SOC 382 , SOC 384 , SOC 458 .