The student who expects to accept an entry-level position in any area requiring knowledge of biological chemistry, or to do graduate study in biochemistry, other areas of biomedical science (pharmacology/toxicology, physiology, cell and/or molecular biology, molecular genetics, immunology, microbial physiology, agricultural (bio)chemistry/plant science, food science, or human nutrition) may be best served by completing the Program in Biochemistry. The student who intends to do professional study in medicine (human, osteopathic, veterinary) or dentistry may elect to complete either the Program in Biochemistry or the Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry.
- CHM 260 , CHM 261 , CHM 262 , CHM 263 or CHM 265 , CHM 310 , CHM 330 , CHM 331 , CHM 332 , CHM 333 , CHM 340 , CHM 341 , CHM 366 , CHM 367 (2 credits), CHM 410 , CHM 442 , CHM 443 , CHM 450 , CHM 451 , CHM 452 , CHM 453 , CHM 472 , CHM 473 , CHM 499 (1 credit).
- BIO 113 , BIO 326 , BIO 435 , BIO 467 , BIO 468 .
- MTH 121 , MTH 122 , MTH 222 .
- CSC 175 or CSC 275 or other course in an appropriate programming language.
- PHY 243 , PHY 245 .
- Additional coursework to satisfy UM-Flint graduation requirements and to bring the total to a minimum of 124 credits with 33 or more credits in courses numbered 300 or above.
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Bachelor of Science degree, including General Education Requirements .
American Chemical Society Certification, Biochemistry.
The student who wishes to be recommended for certification by the American Chemical Society in Biochemistry, as having met the minimum standards set forth by the Committee on Professional Training, must complete the following:
- All requirements of the Biochemistry option.
- CHM 455 or CHM 458 .
*At the time of printing, some of these requirements had not gone through final CAS approval. Please contact the Department to verify programmatic requirements.