Jan 23, 2021  
2014-2015 Catalog 
2014-2015 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


CAS Faculty Advisor: Dr. Jessica Tischler (CHM)
SHPS Faculty Advisor: Dr. Suzanne Selig

Licensing as a pharmacist requires completion of a Doctorate of Pharmacy (Pharm-D) degree. In Michigan, the schools of pharmacy are at Ferris State University, the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and Wayne State University. Students who want to become pharmacists should seek detailed information early from the schools of pharmacy to which they may wish to apply for admission. Students who plan to apply for admission to a pharmacy school should seek the assistance and guidance of an advisor from the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, or Health Sciences and Administration at the University of Michigan-Flint.

Each student’s program is tailored to the requirements of the school of pharmacy where admission is sought. Specific courses are required in each of several areas including biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics. Consult the web site for the school(s) of interest for specific requirements or consult the department of Chemistry and Biochemistry’s website for pre-pharmacy advising information http://www.umflint.edu/chemistry.

Required courses (34 credits).  As a minimum, the following courses are required by all three Michigan Pharm-D programs (as of 2013):

  1. Mathematics.  MTH 121 
  2. Chemistry.  CHM 260 , CHM 261 , CHM 262 , CHM 263  or CHM 265 , CHM 330 , CHM 331 , CHM 332  
  3. Biology.  BIO 113 , BIO 167  
  4. Physics.  PHY 143 
  5. English.  ENG 111  

Highly recommended courses.  The following courses are required by at least one of the Michigan Pharm-D programs (as of 2013):

  1. Chemistry.  CHM 333 , CHM 350 
  2. Biology.  BIO 111 , BIO 135  or BIO 405 , BIO 406 , BIO 168 , BIO 301 , BIO 326 , BIO 328 , BIO 432 , BIO 433  
  3. Physics.  PHY 145 
  4. English.  ENG 112 
  5. Philosophy.  PHL 202 
  6. Political Science.  POL 120 
  7. Communication.  COM 200  or COM 210 
  8. Economics.  ECN 201  or ECN 202 

Additional coursework in social sciences, cultural enrichment, humanities, or foreign language may also be required.

Additional coursework needed to complete a degree (chosen in consultation with an advisor):
To complete a Bachelors of Arts (BA) or Bachelors of Science (BS) degree, additional coursework is required.  Students should choose one of the concentrations listed below depending upon their area of interest and intended specialization.  To view the additional coursework specific to each degree concentration, see the individual program listings.

CAS Programs with Pre-Pharmacy Concentrations
Chemistry Pre-Pharmacy concentration (BA) 
Biochemistry Pre-Pharmacy concentration (BS) 

SHPS Program with a Health Science Focus:
Health Sciences Program-General Health Sciences concentration (BS)