Return to: Program Listings
Requirements. Completion of a minimum of 30 credit hours, distributed as follows, with an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or better. The program must be completed within six consecutive years.
- English Studies (3 credits). ENG 500 - English Studies: Issues and Methods.
- Theory (3 credits). A course in literary or composition/rhetorical theory from: ENG 563 , ENG 567 , ENG 568 , ENG 570 , ENG 571 , ENG 572 .
- One course from each of the following areas (9 credits).
- Literature. ENG 522 , ENG 525 , ENG 526 , ENG 527 , ENG 531 , ENG 532 , ENG 533 , ENG 534 , ENG 537 , ENG 538 , ENG 539 , ENG 555 , ENG 587 .
- Linguistics. ENG 507 , ENG 508 , ENG 509 , ENG 549 , ENG 588 ; LIN 520 , LIN 521 .
- Writing. ENG 560 , ENG 561 , ENG 562 , ENG 563 *, ENG 566 , ENG 567 *, ENG 568 *.
*May not also be counted toward theory requirement.
- Electives (15 credits). Additional courses in English to bring total credit hours to 30.
Students may specialize in one of two concentrations by completing twelve (12) credits as follows. Only one concentration may be completed. ENG 590 , ENG 592 , and ENG 593 do not count toward the concentration.
Writing and Rhetoric concentration
1. A course in rhetorical theory (ENG 563 , ENG 567 or ENG 568 ) or a theory course approved by the program director.
2. Three (3) courses in composition, rhetoric, or creative writing.
1. A course in literary theory (ENG 570 , ENG 571 or ENG 572 ) or a theory course approved by the program director.
2. Three (3) courses in literature.
Where appropriate, and after consultation with an advisor, students may fulfill program requirements with courses from cognate graduate areas such as Education, Social Sciences, and Liberal Studies.
Transfer of Credit
Up to six (6) semester credit hours of graduate credit completed at an accredited institution may be accepted for transfer. Transfers of credit are subject to the approval of the program director. Requests for transferring additional coursework may be made by submitting a petition to the program director.