Communication and Visual Arts Department information
The Program in Art and Design (Bachelor of Fine Arts) prepares students for innovative roles in the contemporary art world, including careers as professional artists, advanced study at the graduate level, and other career options created by a liberal arts education. The program begins with a series of foundation courses stressing the development of technical, problem-solving and conceptual skills. Each student’s growth and development are achieved through exposure to multiple media, concluding with the production of a professional portfolio in an area of specialization.
Prerequisites. COM 200 , ENG 112 or EHS 120 , MTH 112 .
Requirements. Completion of 124 credit hours as follows:
- All University of Michigan-Flint graduation requirements , including College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) General Education requirements .
- Art history and theory (15 credits).
ARH 111 , ARH 112 , ARH 401 , ARH 411 ; ART 160 .
- Foundations (15 credits).
ART 126 , ART 130 , ART 131 , ART 141 , ART 142 .
- Design core (12 credits).
ART 252 , ART 321 , ART 342 , ART 376 .
- Areas of specialization (18 credits).
Courses in one or more of the following areas of emphasis, or additional ART courses at the 200 level or higher, approved by the advisor.
1. Graphic design: form, content, type and image in the service of visual communication. ART 232 , ART 330 , ART 335 ; at least 9 credits chosen in consultation with the advisor.
2. Media design: images, sequences and narratives formed by camera, lens and screen-based technologies. ART 222 , ART 302 , ART 326 ; at least 9 credits chosen in consultation with the advisor.
3. Interaction design: cross-disciplinary practices connected to interactive media considering the virtual and physical. ART 335 , ART 346 , ART 348 ; at least 9 credits chosen in consultation with the advisor.
- Program review (6 credits).
ART 240 , ART 401 .
- Program electives (9 credits).
Additional courses (typically ART, ARH and/or COM), approved by the advisor.
- Other requirements.
1. Completion of at least 124 credits, including at least 33 at the 300 level or above, with a minimum overall GPA of 2.75 or higher.
2. Presentation and review of a design portfolio, with pass or failure included in ART 240 and ART 401 grades.
2. At least 36 credits in ART and/or ARH courses taken at the University of Michigan-Flint.
3. Grades of at least C (2.0) in all ART and ARH required courses and program electives.
Minimum Credits For the Degree. 124 credits