Designed for the student who is preparing for doctoral level study in areas such as animal behavior, biological psychology, clinical psychology, cognition, developmental psychology, learning, social psychology, personality, and other areas emphasizing empirical research. The curriculum is intended to develop in the student the general skills and knowledge of psychology principles expected in research-oriented graduate programs.
Prerequisites. BIO 104 or BIO 167 ; MTH 111 (MTH 118 or MTH 121 strongly recommended for those planning to attend graduate school).
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Bachelor of Science degree, including general education requirements. General education requirements in the natural sciences may not include courses in psychology.
- Core courses (11 credits).
PSY 100 , PSY 319 , PSY 322 .
- Topic requirements (20 credits).
At least one course from six of the following groups, including at least two laboratory courses :
- Biological and physiological foundations. PSY 380 (lab), PSY 386 (lab).
- Learning, motivation and emotion. PSY 310 (lab), PSY 351 (lab).
- Remembering, language, and thought. PSY 387 (lab), PSY 335 , PSY 333 , PSY 384 (lab).
- Personality and individual differences. PSY 358 , PSY 336 .
- Psychopathology. PSY 309 .
- Social psychology. PSY 315 , PSY 383 (lab).
- Developmental psychology. PSY 313 .
- Department assessment requirement. Satisfactory performance on departmental comprehensive educational evaluation.
- Completion of one of options A, B or C below (14-15 credits).
Note: Each course can be used to satisfy only one program requirement.
Option A, General Psychology
- Advanced topics (6 credits).
Two courses each with at least one core course as a prerequisite.
- Research (4 credits).
PSY 394 or a lab course listed above.
- Elective (3-4 credits)
An additional course in psychology.
Option B, Developmental Psychology
- Developmental core (12 credits).
PSY 313 , PSY 346 (3 cr), PSY 347 , PSY 350 .
- Elective (3 credits).
One from: PSY 244 , PSY 341 , PSY 375 ; PHL 374 ; POL 306 ; SOC 354 , SOC 359 .
Option C, Cognitive Science
Prerequisites. LIN 200 ; CSC 175 .
- Advanced cognitive lab course (4 credits).
PSY 387 , PSY 384 , PSY 386 .
- Psychology core (3-4 credits).
One from: PSY 333 , PSY 335 , PSY 343 , PSY 380 .
- Allied discipline cognates (3-4 credits).
One from: CSC 275 , CSC 286 (may be reelected), CSC 375 , CSC 446 ; LIN 351 ; PHL 322 , PHL 325 , PHL 482 , PHL 483 .
- Cognitive science project (3 credits).
PSY 395 .