Jun 13, 2024  
2017-2018 Catalog 
2017-2018 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Pre-Dental Study

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Listings

CAS Science Faculty Advisors: Dr. Jessica Kelts, Dr. Steve Myers

The Council on Dental Education recommends that potential applicants for admission to dental schools seek a baccalaureate degree, although a few well-qualified students have entered dental schools without completing such a degree. Detailed information should be sought early from the professional schools to which the student may wish to apply for admission. Recommended courses for the pre-dental student are similar to those for the pre-medical student. (See “Medical Studies Information,” “Pre-Medicine.”) Pre-dental students may major in any discipline so long as the requirements of the dental program to which they are applying are fulfilled. Dental schools are looking for well-rounded students with broad, liberal arts backgrounds. Such a background can be demonstrated by pursuing a non-science major or minor, or focused sequences of courses in multiple disciplines.

Applicants for admission to dental school are evaluated on the basis of their academic performance and the reputation of the college they attended, as well as other available information. The Dental Admission Test is designed to assist prospective dental students, advisors, and dental schools in evaluating the probability of success of these students in dental school.

The dental schools of the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor and of the University of Detroit use the centralized application service of the American Association of Dental Schools. Each student who plans to apply for admission to dental school should seek the assistance and guidance of an advisor from the Biology or Chemistry/Biochemistry Departments at the University of Michigan-Flint.

Required Courses

As a minimum, the following courses (58-67 credits) should be completed before applying to medical school:

Highly Recommended Courses

(Chosen in consultation with an advisor):

Additional Coursework Needed to Complete a Degree

(Chosen in consultation with an advisor):

To complete a Bachelors of Arts (BA) or Bachelors of Science (BS) degree, additional coursework is required. Students should choose one of the tracks listed below depending upon area of interest and intended specialization. The required courses listed above are common to all of the degree tracks in the College of Arts and Sciences.  To view the additional coursework specific to each degree track, see the individual Department’s program listings.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Listings