Feb 04, 2023
- Completion of all School of Education and Human Services general education requirements and University of Michigan-Flint graduation requirements.
- Completion of 128 credits, including at least 80 in non-education and/or EDM courses, to include:
- A course in United States history (HIS 220 , HIS 221 recommended). See the Education Department office or website for the complete list of acceptable courses.
- PSY 100 .
- EDM 120 , EDM 121 .
- SCI 125 or SCI 126 .
- EHS 120 (preferred) or ENG 112 ; EHS 220 .
- A course in the history or culture of American ethnic minorities: AFA 270 / SOC 270 ; AFA 331 ; AFA 334 / HIS 334 ; ENG 213 , ENG 374 ; EDE 432 / PUB 438 . (This list is subject to change. See the Education Department office or website for the current list of acceptable courses.)
- A course in the study of the English language: ENG 200 / LIN 200 , ENG 244 / LIN 244 , ENG 447 / LIN 447 , ENG 409 / LIN 409 ; LIN 346 ; LIN 290 / ANT 290 , ANT 335 / LIN 335 ; LIN 284 / COM 284 ; LIN 351 / ENG 351 . (This list is subject to change. See the Education Department office or website for the current list of acceptable courses.)
- A teaching major and a teaching minor, or three teaching minors, or two teaching minors and a specialization in early childhood education. (Note: The Michigan Department of Education does not allow a course to be counted toward the total credit requirements of both a minor and a major or another minor.)
The majors, minors, and specialization are:
Fine Arts: Elementary Education Major
Integrated Science: Elementary Education Major
Language Arts: Elementary Education Major
Mathematics: Elementary Education Major
Social Studies: Elementary Education Major
Early Childhood Education Specialization
Fine Arts: Elementary Education Minor
French-Foreign Language: Elementary Education Minor
Integrated Science: Elementary Education Minor
Language Arts: Elementary Education Minor
Mathematics: Elementary Education Minor
Social Studies: Elementary Education Minor
Spanish-Foreign Language: Elementary Education Minor
- Approved courses in first aid and adult and child CPR, taken through the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association www.michigan.gov/mde/0,1607,7-140-6530_5683_14795-118868–,00.html.
- Completion of the following courses in professional education, to be taken in the student’s third and fourth years:
- EDE 300 , EDE 302 , EDE 360 , EDE 469 , EDE 499 ; EDR 343 , EDR 344 ; EDM 341 ; EDN 410 ; EDT 401 or EDT 420 .
- Four courses from: EDE 340 , EDE 343 , EDE 344 , EDE 402 , EDE 432 , EDE 433 , EDE 440 , EDE 441 ; EDR 430 , EDR 435 , EDR 437 , EDR 441 .
- The requirements in the section “General Requirements for Teacher Certification .”