Two options are available. Selection of an option should be made to correspond with the student’s future plans. Each option is designed to meet particular career and/or graduate study needs. In addition, the student who plans to seek American Chemical Society certification should examine those requirements, listed after the Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry Options below.
- CHM 260 , CHM 261 , CHM 262 , CHM 263 or CHM 265 , CHM 310 , CHM 330 , CHM 331 , CHM 332 , CHM 333 , CHM 340 , CHM 341 , CHM 366 , CHM 367 (2 credits), CHM 410 , CHM 499 (1 credit).
- MTH 121 , MTH 122 , MTH 222 .
- CSC 121 , CSC 175 or CSC 271 .
- PHY 243 , PHY 245 .
- Completion of one of the options described below.
- Additional coursework to satisfy UM-Flint graduation requirements and to bring the total to a minimum of 124 credits with 33 or more credits in courses numbered 300 or above.
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Bachelor of Science degree, including General Education Requirements .
The student who plans to continue the study of analytical, inorganic, organic or physical chemistry at the graduate level or prepare for professional work as a chemist in industry or government should consider selecting the Chemistry option.
- CHM 350 , CHM 440 , CHM 443 , CHM 461 , CHM 472 , CHM 473 ; two of the following for a minimum of five credits: CHM 430 , CHM 432 , CHM 492 .
- One from: CSC 275 , MTH 305 , MTH 357 , MTH 372 , MTH 374 .
American Chemical Society Certification, Chemistry
The student who wishes to be recommended for certification by the American Chemical Society in Option A, as having met the minimum standards set forth by the Committee on Professional Training, must complete the following courses:
- All requirements of the Chemistry option.
- CHM 390 .
Environmental Chemistry Option
For the student who anticipates a career in environmental analysis or environmental quality monitoring or who plans graduate study in such areas as geochemistry, chemical oceanography, environmental chemistry, environmental or wildlife toxicology, or atmospheric chemistry, the Environmental Chemistry Option would be a good choice.
Requirements, Environmental Chemistry.
- CHM 350 , CHM 380 , CHM 381 , CHM 382 , CHM 444 , CHM 460 , CHM 472 , CHM 485 .
- BIO 111 , BIO 113 ; GEO 150 or GEO 151 .
- A course, chosen in consultation with the advisor, from: BIO 326 , BIO 327 ; GEO 282 , GEO 331 , GEO 340 , GEO 365 .
American Chemical Society Certification, Environmental Chemistry.
The student who wishes to be recommended for certification by the American Chemical Society in Environmental Chemistry, as having met the minimum standards set forth by the Committee on Professional Training, must complete the following.
- All requirements of the Environmental Chemistry option.
- CHM 473 .