This program is designed for the student who plans to teach chemistry in a secondary school.
- Core courses (16 credits).
CHM 260 , CHM 261 , CHM 262 , CHM 263 or CHM 265 , CHM 330 , CHM 331 , CHM 332 , CHM 333 .
- Advanced courses (25-29 credits).
CHM 310 , CHM 340 , CHM 341 , CHM 350 *, CHM 366 , CHM 367 (1 credit), CHM 410 , CHM 472 , CHM 473 .
Completion of one of the following groups of courses, chosen in consultation with the advisor: CHM 441 , and CHM 440 or CHM 442 or CHM 444 ; CHM 430 , CHM 432 ; CHM 450 *, CHM 451 , CHM 452 , CHM 453 ; CHM 460 , CHM 461 .
*The student who chooses the CHM 450 series of courses will not enroll in CHM 350.
- Mathematics (12 credits).
MTH 121 , MTH 122 , MTH 222 .
- Cognate science courses (8-10 credits).
PHY 243 , PHY 245 or PHY 143 , PHY 145 .
- PHL 312 , or equivalent.
- EDS 344 , EDE 344 strongly recommended.
- Three additional courses, for a minimum of 8 credits, in chemistry, computer science, physics or mathematics with appropriate courses from above or elsewhere as prerequisites, chosen in consultation with the advisor. Courses from H, below, may be used to satisfy this requirement.
- One or more of the following: BIO 301 , CSC 175 , MTH 375 , PSY 301 , SOC 215 .
- Involvement in the teaching of chemistry at UM-Flint, for at least three semesters. Such involvement may take the form of enrollment in a directed readings course (CHM 390 , one credit per election, and a maximum of one election) approved for this purpose, participation in a teaching internship/practicum (CHM 364 , one credit per election, and a maximum of three elections), or employment as a student assistant (CHM 364 , zero credits per election, and a maximum of two enrollments) depending on departmental availability.
- A grade point average of at least 2.75 in all chemistry courses taken at UM-Flint.
- All requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) Bachelor of Arts degree, including general education requirements and a foreign language requirement.
Prospective candidates should also study the sections entitled “General Requirements for Teacher Certification ” and “Secondary Education Teacher’s Certificate Programs ” printed in the Department of Education section of this Catalog.
*At the time of printing, some of these requirements had not gone through final CAS approval. Please contact the Department to verify programmatic requirements.